TV series films pilot at Evanston lighthouse

Cameras rolled Monday at Evanston’s lighthouse, where CBS filmed part of a new drama series.

A film crew, replete with security guards and caution tape, shot part of the pilot of the series around the lighthouse from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., according to a city notice.

The series, which previously developed under working titles “ATF” and “The Line,” is currently known as the “Untitled Michael Dinner Project” after its director.

It will star Dylan Walsh, who is best known for his role as Dr. Sean McNamara in the FX television series “Nip/Tuck,” said Diane Ekeblad, executive director of communications at CBS.

Walsh plays an agent of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives who struggles to balance his work with fathering his teen daughter, according to the Internet Movie Database.

The pilot will also include Terry Kinney, best known as Tim McManus on HBO’s “Oz,” as a sociopathic bank robber with a knack for philosophy and poetry, according to zap2it.com.

The project will compete with other pilots for CBS’s selection, McNamara said. CBS will review around 20 pilots but will only pick up a few, she said. The network will announce its fall schedule in May.

Trailers and trucks lined the streets by Long Field throughout the day. CBS paid the city and the Lighthouse Park District a “few thousand dollars” to film in Evanston, said Recreation Superintendent Bob Dorneker. The Lighthouse Park District could not immediately be reached for comment regarding the details of the contract.

– Chris Kirk