Traveling bookmobile may be option if branch libraries can’t find funds

In 1946 Evanston became one of the first cities in the United States to use a bookmobile, a traveling library-on-wheels that stopped in different areas throughout the city on a fixed schedule.

The program was discontinued in 1997, but the Evanston Public Library may now look into resurrecting it as a less expensive alternative to maintaining the branch libraries.

“We would consider it,” said Paul Gottschalk, EPL administrative services manager. “We need to find the best way to provide library services outside of the main library building, so we’re willing to consider any options.”

The branch libraries, recently given six months of safety from budget cuts, will be shut down permanently if after that time the community cannot fundraise the money necessary to sustain the facilities.

Former Third Ward alderman Emily Guthrie, a member of a grassroots organization advocating for the branches called branchLove, said she would love to see the bookmobile brought back because of its “versatility” in serving people who don’t live within walking distance of the brick-and-mortar libraries.

“You’ve got a lot of under-served people in Evanston, and the bookmobile would give us that option without worrying about a lease and rent,” Guthrie said.

However, she doesn’t see it as a replacement for the branches but rather an additional resource.

Skokie has operated a bookmobile since 1959, with Phil Carlsen as bookmobile librarian for the last 22 of those years. Carlsen said the bookmobile came to Skokie after there was a failed referendum to fund a new library branch.

“We really are like a small branch library or even in some ways like a bookstore on wheels,” Carlsen said.

The Skokie bookmobile circulates approximately 80,000 items annually.

Skokie is not the only bookmobile in the area: Carlsen estimates there are about 15 in the Chicago area. This past summer two other cities in Illinois implemented a bookmobile service for the first time.

“Our patrons are loving it,” said Bridget Roland, assistant director at the Markham Public Library in Markham, Ill. “We even have schools calling and requesting visits. There’s a great demand for it.”

Roland said starting up the bookmobile was really making a “dream come true,” especially since the library system recently added a nearby city, Posen, under its patronage.

Joan Battley, director of the North Chicago Public Library in North Chicago, Ill., said her city began a bookmobile service for similar reasons.

“We wanted to continue to develop a city of readers and to reach out to those who do not have access to the library,” she said.

Since the bookmobile is in its infant stages, she said it circulates about 10 to 15 items per visit. It’s especially popular among senior citizens and children who enjoy the mini-library when it stops at nursing homes and schools.

Marcia Mahoney, another branchLove member, said she loves that aspect of the bookmobile.

“It can be 10 branches,” she said. “And that is a wonderful thing.”

In spite of this, Mahoney said she worried people who use the branch libraries for Internet and computer use wouldn’t be able to get that service in a bookmobile.But she doesn’t deny how much they’re loved.

“When they come up, it’s kind of like the ice cream truck visiting,” Mahoney said.[email protected]