Evanston residents oppose imminent move

In late January, Lucile Childress learned she had 30 days to leave the apartment she has lived in for 31 years.

The Housing Authority of Cook County has told 27 residents of 1900 Sherman Ave. they have to relocate this month so that leaks in the building can be fixed. Like Childress, nearly all of the residents are elderly, and most have signed a petition asking the housing authority to let them stay.

Childress, 97, says there’s only one window that ever leaks in her apartment, and it only leaks after major rainstorms. When the water comes in, she’s able to mop it up easily with a towel.

Along with 17 other residents, she has signed a petition asking the housing authority to let residents keep their apartments.

“I’m 97 years old, and to move out of here would be too much stress,” Childress said. “I don’t know if I’ll be able to survive it.”

In last month’s notice to residents, HACC said the relocations are necessary to keep the building safe.

“Due to the deterioration of the building’s façade, in warmer weather water will likely seep into certain units and cause damage,” the letter says. “Obviously, this potential water seepage is a serious problem that HACC must work quickly to remedy.”

Attempts to reach building manager Rick Schubert and HACC’s executive director Lorri Newson on Thursday were unsuccessful.

HACC staff and Ald. Judy Fiske (1st) met Tuesday with residents to discuss the relocations. Fiske expressed interest in reaching a compromise that would allow the residents who want to stay to remain in the building, said resident Brian Pendleton, 71.

The building at 1900 Sherman is a public housing community for both elderly and disabled citizens. Approximately 110 people live in the building, said Pendleton, who circulated the petition opposing the relocations.

Pendleton, a Northwestern graduate who has lived in the building for five years, says the water damage to units like his is infrequent and minor. Only a small corner of his apartment has visible water damage, and Pendleton says he sees no need for the relocations.

“I’m totally against it,” he said. “It’s a huge, huge inconvenience.”

Residents have been told the relocations will be temporary, Pendleton said, but he said residents have not received that guarantee in writing. The initial notice from HACC refers to the relocations as a “move” and makes no mention of returning back to 1900 Sherman.

In last month’s notice to residents, HACC said residents will be able to choose their new apartment from different subsidized housing options. HACC staff will help residents and their families through the moving process, the notice said.

Still, for resident Olga Pop, moving is a daunting task. Pop has been living at 1900 Sherman for 10 years and will turn 89 on Sunday. Like Pendleton and Childress, Pop has not yet started packing.

“I’m not healthy enough to move away,” Pop said. “How am I going to do it?”[email protected]