Q&A: NU alumnus to bike 400 miles across Tanzania

James Coughlin (McCormick ’82) came to Northwestern in a line of tradition. His cousin and three siblings also attended the University, studying journalism, business and engineering. The family continues to remain involved with NU, and now the alumnus is trying to engage the University. Coughlin, who has worked as a program director at IBM for 28 years, will embark on a 400-mile bike journey across Tanzania this July to raise money for orphans’ education. With $5,000 of his $10,000 goal met, he hopes to get NU cyclists involved in the process.

DAILY: What’s a favorite memory you have from NU?

Coughlin: I did swimming and running through intramurals, but in the spring of my last year, I took a sailing class. I thought, “Right there on Lake Michigan, what a great chance to sail?” I got hit by the boon of the sailboat and knocked into the cold water. They had to send the speedboat out to rescue me. So much for my athletic adventure in sailing. And then I guess just the all-nighters. The camaraderie in that environment is very similar to what I’ve looked for or have tried to foster in my work environment.

DAILY: How has your time at NU impacted you?

Coughlin: The combination of very strong academics as well as the opportunity to participate in the (engineering) Co-op program and get job experience positioned me very well. I’ve been back at NU on a regular basis. One of my brothers actually lives in Evanston. We go there almost every year for Thanksgiving. Now I have three daughters, and I take them to visit campus. My youngest daughter talks quite a bit about going to NU.

DAILY: How did you get into biking?

Coughlin: I actually haven’t been biking that long. I was originally a swimmer growing up. I switched to running in high school. In my adult life, I’ve done 6 marathons. I have arthritis in my knees so I had to give up running. So I’ve switched to biking the past 2 years.

DAILY: Why did you decide to enter this race?

Coughlin: I got involved in early December. I was out picking up take-out food from a local Middle Eastern restaurant. I happened to pick up a magazine I used to read when I was running, Endurance Magazine. The cover story was entitled “Meghann Gunderman Wants You to Ride 400 Miles Across Africa & Help Change the World.” I think I was hooked before I even started reading the article. The thing that has really stood out to me is the issues around girls and education for girls. Being the father of three daughters, it was the type of thing that really appealed to me and made me aggressive with fundraising.

DAILY: What’s the most creative fundraiser you’ve done?

Coughlin: I read this story about a little orphan girl named Rosie, who was affected with a fungus on her scalp so she had to go to the barber and have her head shaved. So on New Year’s Eve, I shaved my head. It’s going well. I think people are curious: “Why did you shave your head?” I’ve had donations through that work. I was able to get a local story written about it as well. I thought, “New Year’s Eve, kicking off the new year.” Timing is good.[email protected]