Moss: M.L.K. .D.A.Y.!.!.!

M is for Monday. Monday is when Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is–a national holiday celebrating a heroic American. But that’s not today. Today is Monday, March 8 and it’s the first day of Reading Week. Today is the day Northwestern swapped with MLK Day so it could recognize the King (Jr.) and still not give us any time off. That’s why if you look on the calendar, you’ll see we have class on the Monday of Reading Week this quarter. That’s MLK day. So, happy March 8 everyone! Start getting pumped for Spring Break, and remember to think about that outline for your final paper.

L is for Laser tag. Had technology in the ’50s and ’60s allowed for this activity to exist outside of top-secret NASA facilities used to train astronauts on how to deal with the moon’s indigenous population, King definitely would have endorsed it as the most progressive pastime. The black lights in laser tag arenas effectively take race out of the equation as everyone looks like the same radioactive mutant with stains on their jeans. Take some time out for laser tag this MLK Day, and you’ll see it doesn’t matter what color you are–everyone just wants to shoot you in the face.

K is for Kinda wondering what it would be like if King’s middle name had actually been Ivan-Luther. It wouldn’t roll off the tongue as well as it does now, but his new initials would qualify Sean Penn to play him in a biopic.

is for denoting the end of one word and the eventual beginning of another

D is for Dreams. It’s well known MLK was a dreamer, but history often overlooks the second half of his famous speech when he elaborated on some of the less inspiring dreams he had that week, including one where he was flying and another where he was naked on the first day of high school. It may not sound that captivating, but it definitely got the crowd in Washington on its feet.

A is for Acronyms. That one’s pretty self-explanatory.

Y is for Yacht. Since today is MLK’s birthday, I think we should invest in a gift. Before his death, one of the last things King did was write his birthday list, which consisted of nothing but a picture of a yacht and a message reading, “Come on, I’ve earned it.” I couldn’t agree more, so I’ll be accepting donations to make King’s dream of a giant boat named “Civil DisoSEAdience” a reality. You can drop the cash off in The Daily offices in the box labeled “yacht fund.” If the box looks more like a duffel bag and the word “yacht” looks more like “kegerator,” don’t let that throw you off.

! is for exclamation.

! is for exclamation squared.

! is for overkill.

Weinberg senior David Moss can be reached at [email protected]