Helppie-Schmieder: Rick Perry and the case for Tex-ecution

Photobucket

On a drunken Friday night while browsing the public library, I got to thinking, “Is Tyler Perry a film genius or a regular guy being dared to make the same movie over and over again?” After a few minutes of asking some locals what they thought (answers largely depended on race), I got to thinking about another famous Perry-Rick Perry.

Rick Perry is not only my favorite governor but also the only one I know.

I admire his bravado for publicizing our future plan to secede. Last April, he vocalized the sentiments of all true Texans when he said, “When we came into the union in 1845, one of the issues was that we would be able to leave if we decided to do that.” Nailed it. Short, yet shocking.

Which reminds me of execution.

Rick Perry understands execution better than anyone I know. Not only does execution deter other lowlife criminals from murdering, raping and committing arson to kill their own children (remember Cameron Willingham?), but it also spends public money which would otherwise be used for socialist welfare programs. I, for one, would rather have my hard-earned tax dollars be spent ridding the streets of crime instead of giving it to poor people who are too lazy to work, thus making them more likely to commit crimes with all their free time.

I think I’ve made my point.

Some days ago, I was walking through campus when I noticed a group of students protesting. They were saying words like, “inhumane” and “racist.” Although I didn’t quite understand their language, I was able to infer these students were protesting the death penalty. I marched up to them and asked if they believed in protecting innocent people. At that point, they started talking about something called the Innocence Project. I realized we were both confused, so I cut my losses and walked away.

It was only later when I got home and tried to find “the Innocence Project,” “inhumane,” and “racist” on Conservapedia, that I realized they were making everything up!

You people who think execution is wrong have only two flimsy reasons why: First, you empathize with minority criminals (I bet you also thought Judge Sotomayor was qualified), or second, you don’t believe in justice.

And when it comes to justice, there’s only one legitimate source.

That’s right, Leviticus 24:17 tells us, “Anyone who takes the life of a human being is to be put to death.” In fact, in October 2009, a Texas jury consulted the Bible during deliberations before handing out a death sentence to death row inmate, Khristian Oliver.

Nailed it.

I think I’ve made my point.

Weinberg junior Brenna Helppie-Schmieder can be reached at [email protected].