NU snags nomination for top vegan cuisine

Northwestern was nominated Friday as one of 32 finalists in peta2’s “Most Vegetarian-Friendly College” competition. A win would be the second in three years for the University.

Peta2, a high school and college-oriented division of animals rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, based its nominations on the quantity and quality of vegetarian and vegan options on campus, said Ryan Huling, senior college campaign coordinator for the organization.

“Demand for meatless meals is higher than ever across the country,” Huling said. “Northwestern has continuously improved conditions on campus and expanded the vegan options.”

NU won the competition, now in its fourth year, in 2007. Huling said the University dropped off in 2008 but said this year, 35 to 55 percent of students are choosing vegetarian and vegan entrées each day in the NU’s dining halls.

“As students become more educated about where their food comes from, it’s no surprise that they’re seeking healthier and more humane alternatives,” Huling said.

Alexa Razma, a Weinberg sophomore, said she was surprised about NU’s nomination.

“Vegetarians that I’ve spoken to that lived on campus don’t seem to find many healthy alternatives for them,” said Razma, a vegetarian as of four weeks ago.

Last month, Razma moved into the Members of Society Acting in Cooperation housing complex, an off-campus co-op. She said she moved there because she was unhappy with the food on campus, though she said she ate mostly in the Sargent dining hall last year.

“Vegan meals are better for the environment, better for keeping off the ‘freshman 15,’ and clearly better for animals who aren’t killed for the meal,” Huling said.

Other nominees for the competition include fellow Big Ten members University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University of Wisconsin-Madison and Penn State University. The winner, decided by an online vote at peta2’s Web site, will be announced Nov. 23. The first round of voting ends Nov. 2.