Police Blotter

July 9: Coffee house tip jar stolen

A tip jar containing about $20 was stolen from Peet’s Coffee & Tea, 1622 Chicago Ave., Thursday.

The alleged perpetrators, both male, entered the coffee shop around 12:22 p.m, Evanston Police Cmdr. James Pickett said. The first subject reportedly grabbed the jar and handed it to the second before walking out.

The theft was captured on video, Pickett said. He added that police are currently conducting a follow-up investigation.

July 9: Copper piping stolen from Evanston residence under construction

A large amount of copper piping was stolen from a three-story building undergoing renovation, 727 Brummell St., Pickett said.

The theft occurred sometime between July 9 and the morning of July 11. Further investigation showed that burglars possibly entered the house through a rear window on the third floor, Pickett said.

July 10: Man punched in the eye on Chicago Avenue

A 46-year-old man was assaulted Friday at around 9:10 a.m., at 130 Chicago Ave., Pickett said.

The victim, a resident of the 100 block of Clyde Avenue, told police a man who had been repairing his car for two weeks approached him and punched him in the eye. He did not know the offender’s name but said he could identify him.

“He refused further treatment and did not say why it happened,” Pickett said. Police are currently following up on the investigation.

July 13: Chinese statues stolen from Evanston residence

Two Chinese statues valued at $2,000 each were stolen from a residence at 719 Michigan Ave., Pickett said.

The theft occurred sometime between 7:30 p.m. July 12 and 9 a.m. the following morning. The statues, which were cemented in the ground, were on the front steps of the home, Pickett said.

He added that although there is no suspect information, police are following up on the investigation.

July 14: Windows broken at Lincoln Elementary School

Three windows were broken on the west side of Lincoln Elementary School, 910 Forest Ave., Pickett said.

The damage was done sometime between 4 p.m. on July 13 and 7 a.m. July 14. The school janitor reported the incident.

When police investigated the incident, three large rocks were found inside the window area, Pickett said.

“The school’s spotlights went out at 10, so it had to have happened sometime after that,” Pickett said. Police are investigating the incident.