Shootout in Evanston ends with one arrest

Evanston police have arrested one man in connection to a shooting last week, they announced Friday.

The shootout apparently occurred between two groups of drug dealers. After a high-speed chase through Evanston and Skokie, police nabbed one of the men allegedly involved in the altercation, according to a statement released by the Evanston police Friday afternoon.

Police have arrested Kevin Logan, 20, of the 1700 block of Dodge Avenue in Evanston.

An Evanston Police Department officer on patrol heard six gunshots coming from the area of Dodge Avenue and Emerson Street a little after 1 a.m. Thursday, EPD Cmdr. James Pickett said in the release. After being told the shots came from the south alley of 1900 Emerson St., the officer heard five to seven more shots.

Shots struck two parked vehicles and two residences, Pickett said.

While there were no reported injuries, innocent neighborhood residents could easily have been hit, Evanston Chief of Police Richard Eddington told residents at a Fifth Ward community meeting Thursday.

Witnesses reported seeing a truck flee the area after the shooting, Pickett said. After the officer broadcast their description over the EPD radio, another police unit located a SUV matching the description driving away from the area.

After the police car turned on its lights, the SUV “began to flee,” Pickett said. As the chase continued, a passenger in the front seat threw a loaded handgun magazine, clear plastic gloves and a black hooded sweatshirt from the SUV.

The SUV “reached estimated speeds of 60-70 miles per hour,” Pickett said.

Eventually, two passengers fled the SUV.

When officers located the SUV in Skokie later, they were able to pull it over and arrest Logan, Pickett said. Police charged him with felony aggravated fleeing and eluding, and could add more charges, depending on results from gun residue testing.

Police are continuing to investigate.