Basketball: Recruit has sights set on NCAA berth

Do not let Drew Crawford’s smooth jumper or calm demeanor on the basketball court fool you.

Behind this collected 6-foot-5 guard is someone analyzing every weakness of his opponent and figuring out just how to attack it. Just ask some of the players playing in the Chicago High School Classic in Skokie in early April.

Crawford showed off his athleticism with an early block of a layup, a rebound in traffic against bigger players and a fast break dunk – on his way to 16 points.

The senior from Naperville Central High School even tried to jam over an opponent and would have completed the highlight-reel play if not for a foul in the glorified pick-up game.

Even in flashes, Crawford showed what the future has in store for Northwestern basketball.

His ability to pick his spots to score, shoot and get to the basket will be a welcome sight for the Wildcat faithful.

“The basketball program is on the up-rise,” Crawford said. “They had a great year this year, and I think we are going to continue to get better. That and you can’t argue with the academics. Overall, it’s a great school.”

Crawford offers the full package. His decision to attend NU was based partly on its academic prestige. He chose the Big Ten school over Atlantic Coast Conference power Wake Forest, another school also known for its academics. Crawford was given the Academic Achievement Award at the Chicago High School Classic All-Star Game and maintained a high GPA throughout high school.

On the court, Crawford is a well-rounded scorer who can shoot, drive and pass. His defense can certainly improve, but his long wingspan, which adds two to three inches to his height, makes him a perfect fit for NU’s 1-3-1 zone. His versatility is something coaches crave.

He averaged 24.5 points and 9.2 rebounds per game for Naperville Central (Ill.), leading the Redhawks to a conference title and the round of 16 in the Illinois State basketball tournament. Crawford was voted third in Illinois’ Mr. Basketball competition.

“You’re not going to see him score 16 one night and two the next night, he’s a very consistent player,” Naperville Central coach Pete Kramer said. “And he is only going to get better. His best basketball is ahead of him.”

Kramer said he believes Crawford can make an immediate impact for the Cats. He said he thinks Crawford is capable of stepping into the place left open by senior Craig Moore’s graduation and providing a wider range skills.

His coach described him as the type of player who finds a way to score, but can also work within an offense. This was a trait coach Bill Carmody and his staff noticed as they were recruiting Crawford.

For his high school team, Crawford had to be responsible for the brunt of his team’s scoring – the team started and ended with him.

But while playing for his AAU team against some of the top talent, Crawford showed his ability to get others involved. As the summer progressed, Carmody said he saw how Crawford became more assertive with better players around him and made his team better.

How he reacts with the team and fits into NU’s system will determine what role he has next year. The success of More, Kevin Coble, Michael Thompson and John Shurna in their freshman years points to the impact a first-year player can have on the team. Each of them started at least 24 games in their opening seasons.

“We have a veteran team coming back,” Carmody said. “I don’t think he is going to have to bear the huge brunt of things, but I think he’s capable of that. He’s definitely capable of helping us right away.”

Crawford has a lot of work to do to be ready for the rigors of the Big Ten season. Still, Carmody said he is confident Crawford can make a quick transition because of his strong fundamentals. To repeat this 2008-2009 trip to the NIT, it is clear that the Cats will need someone to step in and replace Moore.

Crawford said he can play wherever Carmody needs him. He can go outside on the perimeter or even inside defensively against bigger players.

The ultimate goal is to continue NU’s progress and get the program to its first NCAA Tournament. Crawford said he wants to do whatever it takes to achieve that goal.

“It would be making history and something I would really like to be a part of,” Crawford said of possibly being part of the Cats’ first NCAA Tournament team. “The team is getting better every year. I think that’s an achievement we’re going for. It would be unbelievable to be a part of that.”

While it is uncertain whether NU’s tournament drought will be broken while Crawford is playing, he is part of the long-term plan to get the Cats consistently in some kind of postseason play.

“He’s going to be a pretty good player for us,” Carmody said. “He’s one of the better guys that we have brought in.”