NU students march at Take Back the Night to raise awareness of sexual assault

Hallie Liang and Sean Collins Walsh/The Daily Northwestern

More than 100 students gathered at the Rock Thursday to “Take Back the Night” as part of College Feminists’ 23rd annual rally and march held to raise awareness of the fact that sexual assault does happen at Northwestern.

Every year, marches are held on college campuses and in cities across the nation to raise awareness about sexual assault, rape and domestic violence.

College Feminists Co-Director Hannah Jaracz said the event is mostly about awareness.

“People at NU need to realize this is a real issue,” the Weinberg sophomore said.

The events began at the sorority quads with a Greek-sponsored barbecue followed by performances by Extreme Measures and the Northwestern Community Jazz Ensemble at the Rock. Once the rally began, Take Back the Night Co-Chairs and Weinberg seniors EJ Porth and Matt Nusko spoke about the nature of rape on college campuses.

One in four college women will be the victims of “completed or attempted rape” before they graduate; 80 percent are acquaintance rape, and most of such assaults go unreported, Porth said.

Victims of sexual assault should not believe that what happened to them was their fault, Porth told the crowd.

“It wasn’t because of what they wore, how much they drank, their sexual orientation or their past sexual experience,” she said.

After the rally, participants marched across campus chanting and carrying signs with slogans such as “No=NO!” and “We will not be victims.” Noise permits were secured before the event, allowing participants to chant as loudly as they wanted, organizers said.

In promoting Take Back the Night, College Feminists specifically targeted fraternities to encourage male participation, Porth said.

“Men need to realize they are part of the problem, but they can be part of the solution,” she said. “I want men to understand they have a role in this, and we are not accusing them.”

Jaracz said she hoped the event would help end the embarrassment surrounding sexual assault and encourage victims to speak out.

“(Victims think) ‘I am a strong woman, how could this happen to me?'” she said. “There is also a social stigma to sexual assault, especially if someone is assaulted by an acquaintance.”

The march concluded at Norris University Center where a “Speak-Out” session was held to encourage students to share their experiences and thoughts about sexual assault. The environment was intended to be safe and welcoming and show victims they are not alone in their experience, said Emily Raymond, co-director of College Feminists.

“Everyone on campus knows someone who has been affected,” the Weinberg junior said, “Even if they don’t know that they know (someone).”

Take Back the Night from The Daily Northwestern 2 on Vimeo.

Video by Katey Rusch and Sarah Simpson