Lacrosse: High school rivals now teammates

Just nine months ago, Northwestern freshmen Shannon Smith and Lacey Vigmostad were playing for rival teams and competing against each other for their county’s championship.

It was not the first time their Long Island, N.Y. high schools – West Babylon and Northport, respectively – had squared off. Smith’s squad won the regular season contest by a slim margin, but Vigmostad scored three goals to help Northport capture the rematch and the title, 14-5.

“We always joke and laugh about how we were sharp enemies,” Vigmostad said.

Now, the two are not only teammates, but are also starting in their first season on the four-time defending national championship squad and top-ranked team in the country.

Both players had impressive accomplishments at the previous level. Smith first started on varsity in seventh grade, setting New York state records in career points and career and single-season goals, while Vigmostad was a two-time All-American and won a pair of Suffolk County titles and team MVP awards.

Still, being starters this early was unexpected. They are using their roles as motivation to practice harder so someone else does not take their spots.

“I knew when you came in here, every day you have to work hard at practice, you need to be competitive, you need to push your teammates,” Smith said. “But the coaches any day can take that away from you if you don’t work harder each day to improve.”

The Wildcats have faced four ranked teams in their first five games, and will play another Friday when they travel to No. 7 Georgetown.

As a result, the freshmen have had to adjust to the college game on the fly, noting that the quicker pace takes getting used to.

“The top teams are a lot faster,” Vigmostad said. “The ball moves at an incredible speed.”

Getting to work out with and scrimmage against some of the best players in the nation has hastened their development.

Vigmostad said she idolized NU stars like senior Hannah Nielsen, senior Hilary Bowen and junior Danielle Spencer in high school. Playing alongside them now and observing their tireless work ethic motivates her to improve as well.

“They never just accept being good, they’re always striving to be better,” Vigmostad said. “It makes me want to work harder every day because I see how good they are.”

Practicing against each other has also been valuable for Smith and Vigmostad.

When Vigmostad decided to play for the Cats in the summer before her senior season, one of the calls she made was to Smith, an early commit, letting her know they would continue to battle collegiately – but it would be on the practice field, since they would be wearing the same uniform.

“She’s one of those defenders that I didn’t like going against (in high school),” Smith said. “But she makes me better by going up against her constantly.”

The chance to learn from coach Kelly Amonte Hiller, who has won six national titles combined as a player and coach as well as tutoring two Tewaaraton Trophy winners, was a major factor in Vigmostad’s and Smith’s decisions to go to NU.

“Her philosophy makes me excited to play,” Vigmostad said. “She’s very motivating. She focuses on getting us to figure out what our strengths are and improve on those. It’s all about getting better and better.”

The two freshmen have made a significant impact during the Cats’ 5-0 start. Smith has tallied five points, tied for sixth-most on the team, and Vigmostad has been a key contributor to a defense allowing less than seven goals per game.

Against a Georgetown that gave NU all it could handle at Lakeside Field last season, a 7-6 win for the Cats, Smith and Vigmostad will have to keep playing like veterans to stay undefeated in their college career.