Gentilviso: Playing the right way, deep into March

We all remember Thursday, January 19, 2006. It was the day the “Fire Bill Carmody” blog was born.

Entitled “I can’t take it anymore,” the inaugural post read: Bill Carmody sucks. Northwestern basketball sucks…It’s not all his fault. But a lot of it is.

Sunday night, “Fire Bill Carmody” seemed more counterintuitive than ever before.

So, you may have had trouble finding the ESPNU NIT selection show. For those of you not watching, Northwestern accepted its first postseason bid since 1999, and the first since Carmody was named coach in September 2000.

That’s right, Bill Clinton still ruled the Oval Office and Prince’s lyrics were still somewhat futuristic. Moreover, in an exciting turn of events from the usual unwarranted lambasting of our football program on national broadcasts, NU was actually profiled as the team to watch in its matchup with Conference USA foe Tulsa.

Yes, people are watching NU basketball. And in the eyes of Carmody, it has to do with playing the right way.

“We haven’t been there in a while,” said Carmody of the postseason berth. “It’s only been a few times. And this group hasn’t and they’ve done enough to continue to play this year. They’ve won enough games and played pretty consistently at a nice level. I think they deserve it.”

Without any added excitement to his humble demeanor, Carmody left out himself in that sentence. His attitude is no different now than on the day he was hired.

“I want my guys at Northwestern to understand how great of an opportunity it is to play college basketball and that if they work hard at it every day, how much can be accomplished when they approach the game in the right way,” he said.

Eight-plus years later, the message of approaching the game the right way is finally bringing results. And based on the play of his freshmen and veterans, Carmody is coaching the right way.

We all know the 1999 team sported senior Evan Eschmeyer in peak form. At 19.6 points and 10.2 rebounds per game, his only reward was being named a finalist for National Player of the Year.

But NU’s run to the postseason had much to do with a trio of freshmen: David Newman, Steve Lepore and current assistant coach Tavaras Hardy. Those three combined for 36 percent of NU’s scoring, 29 percent of the rebounding and 52 percent of NU’s three-point field goals.

Entering this season, Carmody had his leaders in the second-team All-Big Ten duo Craig Moore and Kevin Coble. But to make 2009 a banner year, he did his homework by recruiting a trio of freshmen who had other places on their radar.

Kyle Rowley chose not to suit up for the NCAA bound Pittsburgh Panthers, Wisconsin Badgers or Ohio State Buckeyes. Luka Mirkovic chose not to suit up for the NCAA bound Louisville Cardinals or Marquette Golden Eagles. John Shurna chose not to suit up for the NIT bound Washington State Cougars and Davidson Wildcats, a pair of Sweet 16 teams a year ago.

Instead, they joined a Cats team with a coach who not only gave them an opportunity to play consistently, but an opportunity to spark change for a program that desperately needed it.

“All of the freshmen are going to have things to learn,” said Carmody prior to the season. “It’s a different level of play but they’re all capable of playing. It’s going to be a meritocracy. The guys who merit playing time will play.”

Through his meritocracy, Carmody’s players have learned how to be a part of something not seen in Evanston in a decade. Whether they add to that experience, tune in Wednesday at 8 p.m. on the flagship network of hidden sporting events, ESPNU.

But regardless of what happens in Tulsa, March 15, 2009’s blog post has been written.

Bill Carmody can coach. Northwestern basketball can play. It’s not all his doing. But a lot of it is.

Sports editor Chris Gentilviso is a Medill senior. He can be reached at [email protected].