Big Ten Insider: Penn State on cusp of NCAAs, Indiana hits bottom

It feels good to control your own fate.

While teams such as Wisconsin are kicking themselves for inexplicably losing six straight games, and Michigan is longing for the days when it toppled UCLA and Duke, Penn State is in an enviable position of “win, and you’re in.”

The Nittany Lions (20-9, 9-7 Big Ten), despite not playing their best basketball recently, have salvaged three of their last four games, including a road win against then-No. 16 Illinois. The team gets another chance to deal damage to the Illini (23-7, 11-6 Big Ten), this time at home.

Penn State coach Ed DeChellis said it was a big week for his team and feels fortunate that it is in this position despite recent shooting struggles.

“We are in position to control what we do,” DeChellis said. “If we play well in the last two games and take care of business, then all the in-out, bubble, all that stuff will probably go away.”

The road win at Illinois was a 38-33 defensive battle, but Penn State has also won shootouts, such as an 85-83 win at Georgia Tech in early December. DeChellis said the team has gained confidence and the players believe they can win games even when trailing.

“We’ve been a very resilient team all year, and that’s a trait you can’t come across by doing any kind of drills or sit and talk to the team,” DeChellis said. “Whether we’re home or on the road (the players) just feel like they always have a chance.”

The Nittany Lions host Illinois on Thursday and then conclude their season at Iowa on Saturday.

Tough times for Hoosier fans

Northwestern fans feel no sympathy for what Indiana’s followers are going through this season.

Indiana (6-22, 1-15 Big Ten) needs to win one more game to equal its worst season since 1950. But the numbers get even more interesting when looking at overall records in basketball and football.

Since 1950, a Big Ten school has combined for nine wins or fewer in football and basketball 18 times, with Northwestern accounting for 14 of the 18.

This creates more intrigue in Indiana’s final games because the Hoosiers went 3-9 in football this season.

Indiana has never failed to combine for a double-digit win total in football and basketball.

Despite the circumstances, Indiana coach Tom Crean said his team is learning a lot and is proud of the way it fought on the road in a narrow loss to Penn State Saturday.

“We’re in here every day working with these guys to make them better,” Crean said. “They’ve had a great attitude and they’ve continued to work very hard. We’re trying to build a foundation for the future and at the same time we’re trying to give these guys every opportunity they have to get better, to be a part of that future and to win games.”