Confirmed and Denied

TRUE LIFE: I’M A JEWSound like a show you’d want to watch? If you’re an NU student flying the proud Jewish flag, you could find yourself on MTV’s famous reality show, provided you’re planning on going on Birthright this summer. Andrea Jacobs, the Doppelt Director of Engagement at NU’s Hillel chapter, sent out an e-mail to prospective Birthright applicants detailing True Life’s upcoming show on “the relationship between parents and students as the young people prepare to go on a Taglit-Birthright Israel trip with Hillel.” It’s not just a publicity grab. “It seems MTV approached Hillel, not the other way around,” says a member of Hillel’s Campus Entrepreneurs Initiative (CEI) program. “True Life isn’t necessarily sleazy reality entertainment. Hopefully, if anyone opts to do it from NU, it’ll reflect well on us and Hillel and not be Super Sweet 16ish.” Hear that, Birthright kids? It’s time to show the world how Jews party in the 21st century.FINDING THE GOSSIP VEINSince JuicyCampus was shut down because of rising costs a few weeks ago, a theoretical void in the gossip world has formed. Where else can lusty undergrads jibe about which freshman frat guy is best in the sack? The answer, it seems, may be CollegeACB (which stands for Anonymous Confession Board), the generically-titled website that follows in JC’s image, hosting message boards for college students to anonymously snipe about the classmates. The site saw a huge spike in traffic when JC shut down, sending a press release explaining their presence in the online world. “The College ACB … seeks to give students a place to vent, rant, and talk to college peers in an environment free from social constraints and about subjects that might otherwise be taboo,” the release said. “Such a philosophy sets the ACB apart from Juicy Campus, a website that fostered superficial interactions, often derogatory and needlessly crude. By contrast, the ACB consistently hosts a higher level of discourse….” Noble intentions for sure, but a look at the NU board finds paragons of elevated discourse such as “Which Girl has the best tits at NU” and “Slutty/Manwhore Engineers.” If you recall, JC was about as discreet. Meet the new gossip site, same as the old gossip site.HOOKING UP“Does the ‘hook-up’ culture really exist? What exactly does the hook-up entail? How has the hook-up changed sex and relationships on college campuses? Do sober hook-ups happen? And, if she hooks up with you, does that mean she likes you?” These are some of the questions asked in a promotional e-mail sent out by Emilie Kahle, the center assistant at NU’s Women’s Center, for an event taking place on campus on Monday, March 9, entitled “Hooking Up: The Death of Dating?” The Women’s Center and SHAPE are bringing Dr. Kathleen Bogle, the incredibly youthful-looking sociologist, to speak about her new book, Hooking Up: Sex, Dating, and Relationships on Campus.