City still debating plan for lakefront

Evanston City Council members still disagree about certain aspects of the Lakefront Master Plan, despite passing the measure last January.

At Tuesday’s special meeting of the City Council, aldermen discussed some of the more contentious aspects of the plan, including new bathroom facilities along the lakefront.

Ald. Edmund Moran (6th) expressed reservations about the potential bathrooms, fearing they would impede the view of the lakefront.

“I don’t mean to over-sentimentalize the subject, but it’s really beautiful there,” he said.

Ald. Melissa Wynne (3rd) disagreed with Moran, saying the new bathrooms were necessary. In her opinion, the current bathroom facilities disrupt the lakefront view more than the new restrooms would.

“I walked there today, and while I walked in front of what is our current restroom, I walked through two inches of mud,” she said. “It’s never grassy; it’s a sight of erosion.”

The approved plan also includes improved access to the beach, bike paths and a more wheelchair-accessible Grosse Pointe Lighthouse.

“This project is going to design and construct an (American with Disabilities Act)- compliant ramping system down to (the lighthouse),” said Stephanie Levine, a landscape architect with the city.

After council members discussed the Lakefront Master Plan, David Stoneback, the city’s superintendent of the Water and Sewer Department, gave a presentation. He told aldermen the city would have to raise the sewer rate for the upcoming year.

Mayor Lorraine Morton was not pleased about this potential cost increase to Evanston residents.

“To raise the sewer rate is going to be devastating in this economy,” she said. “Unless everybody goes back to bathing once a week on Saturday night.”

In addition to raising the sewer rate, the aldermen discussed other potential ways to increase the Water and Sewer fund.

Evanston currently sells water to a number of neighboring municipalities, including Skokie, but is looking for other potential buyers to boost revenue.

But finding these new customers could be a long process, Finance Director Marty Lyons said.

“Most of the City of Chicago customers are on a 10-year revolving contract,” he said. “We’re thinking 50 years. We’re thinking very long term in terms of getting new customers.”