Confirmed and Denied

Ever get the feeling you’ve been had? A few days ago, North by Northwestern ran a story listing the so-called worst foods in Evanston, all of them found at popular student haunts like Chili’s and Chipotle. It’s a typical kind of story that many publications have run, but NbN’s take is a little less original, as two of the six foods can be found on a similar list created by Men’s Health’s “Eat This, Not That!” website. The matching items – Chipotle’s Chicken Burrito and Jamba Juice’s Chocolate Moo’d Power Smoothie – can either be found on the website’s current list of forbidden foods or a previous iteration on Yahoo that started the list’s popularity (do a quick Google search if you don’t believe us). It’s improbable that NBN found the time to research every unhealthy food at every restaurant in town. Furthermore, the Men’s Health piece was extremely popular, evidenced by the multiple e-mails we got noting the similarities between the two. Can it just be coincidence? Probably not: Of the Chili’s Texas Cheese Fries with Jalapeno Ranch-Dressing, the NBN version says that it’s the “fat equivalent of 16 Taco Bell Crunchy Tacos,” and in Yahoo’s blurb about the same item, the “Fat Equivalent” is “Like eating 16 Taco Bell Crunchy Tacos!” On NBN’s writeup of the Chocolate Moo’d Smoothie, they write, “Congratulations to Jamba Juice for hiding a calorie-laden milkshake under the moniker ‘smoothie,'” while Men’s Health notes that “Jamba Juice calls it a smoothie; we call it a milk shake.” A little suspicious, no? We caught a glimpse of their WordPress server and saw two unpublished comments calling the article out on the plagiarism, both of which specifically link to the Men’s Health article. The comments were posted more than a day ago, and at time of publication, were still unpublished. What’s more, an earlier – and similar – comment had been flagged as spam. Whether this is an attempt to quash any watchdogging or a temporary moratorium in order to decide what should be done about the plagiarizing is unknown, but as more students notice the nifty idea-ripping, they’ll have to address it.