Mixed reviews for ETHS English program

Evanston Township High School administrators on Monday night discussed a recently implemented class structure that has become controversial in recent weeks.

“Mixed” senior English classes were the focus of a 20-minute talk at the meeting. The classes, which include regular students and honors students in the same room, have sparked complaints from some parents, said District 202 Assistant Superintendent Laura Cooper.

The classes were created in hopes of inspiring low-achieving minority students by letting them see the work of high-achieving students, said Cooper, who added they add flexibility for all students.

But District 202 school board members questioned the classes’ effect on students from both ends of the spectrum. Margaret Lurie asked “what higher-achieving students (are) getting out of the class,” while student Board representative Adam Newman said the low-achieving students were being “totally disregarded” in the debate over mixed English.

Cooper brought up information from a survey of students in a pilot version of the class last year.

The results from the study were “overwhelmingly positive,” she said, adding that students said they felt more prepared for college and more comfortable in the setting.

The board agreed to continue monitoring the classes to make sure they help all students.

Another long discussion took place after Cooper detailed the many projects undertaken by ETHS staff over the summer.

Twenty-eight different projects were completed during the summer, she said. The costs of the projects totaled more than $97,000.

“It was a very, very significant summer in terms of getting a great deal of work done,” Cooper said. “It was a very busy summer.”

Teachers developed four new courses: Introduction to Child Development, Digital Electronics, Business/Financial Math and Advanced Hebrew Literature and Language, according to a 30-page memorandum that was circulated at the meeting. The initiatives also included work on improving literacy and numeracy projects, and the staff also attended many professional development programs.

Monday’s meeting also included a presentation on proposed procedures for corporate sponsorship and gift policies.

The procedures, presented by Chief Financial Officer Bill Stafford and Director of Development Fran Caan, outline new ways for the district to make money. Companies can pay to have their business name or logo displayed at school properties, and individuals who donate a significant amount of money may have some part of school property named after them.

“It’s ETHS saying ‘We know you have a reason for holding us in high regard, and we thank you for making your gratitude known,'” Caan said.

The Board is expected to take action on the procedures at their next meeting on Oct. 14.