AVP: Usman Mian

Increasing academic services for students and increasing minority enrollment are two of Usman Mian’s goals if he’s elected as ASG academic vice president.

Mian, who has spent three years involved in ASG’s academic committee, hopes to continue working with administrators to implement his goals, the Weinberg junior said.

Mian said his knowledge of the inner workings of the academic committee would help with his projects. Some of his past and current projects have included working on Martin Luther King Jr. Day activities, trying to implement campus-wide wireless Internet and increasing awareness of academic advising with an advising fair.

His future ideas for the academic committees include online advising with instant messenger, adding syllabi and textbook lists for classes in CAESAR and making online videos of taped lectures available, he said.

As assistant director of the Multicultural Affairs department, Mian helped organize diversity workshops and said he hopes to increase student involvement in multicultural student affairs.

“Diversity isn’t only determined in terms of race and gender, but also through community service, bringing service learning into the classroom and getting involved with the Center for Civic Engagement,” he said.

Mian has dedicated his time to serve the needs of others in the community and university by his involvement in activities he feels passionate about, said Rodney Carew, Mian’s campaign manager.

“If you look at Usman’s track record, he’s looking to serve the needs of others,” the Weinberg Junior said.

– Kristin Ellertson