Council to discuss new curfew hour

Evanston teenagers might soon have to get off city streets an hour earlier after the City Council’s Human Services Committee unanimously approved an ordinance to reduce the curfew for youth under the age of 17 Monday night.

The ordinance, presented to the committee by Ald. Ann Rainey (8th), was written in response to a March 22 change in Chicago’s curfew, which made the time when kids can’t be on the streets a half an hour earlier.

The council will decide on the ordinance during its April 28 meeting.

The new Chicago curfew hours begin at 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 10 p.m. the rest of the week. Both times are an hour earlier than Evanston’s each night. The curfew ends at 6 a.m. every night for both cities.

“I’m asking you to simply make our curfew ordinance comparable to the city of Chicago,” Rainey told the committee. “Nothing more radical than that.”

Rainey and other aldermen are concerned that a curfew discrepancy between the two cities could cause delinquent Chicago teens to cross into Evanston after the Chicago curfew passes.

“People can step across the street and not be in violation of the curfew,” Rainey said at the meeting. “That creates a tremendous problem for the south end of town.”

Police have not noticed an impact from the discrepancy in curfews yet, said Cmdr. Thomas Guenther of the Evanston Police Department.

“They’ll probably be some bleed-over, but I don’t know how statistically significant that will be,” Guenther said. “It’s too early to tell.”

But Rainey urged the committee, which considered putting off the vote until its next meeting, to act quickly. Calling the ordinance “really urgent,” she pointed to an incident that happened Saturday night, when a large number of kids were seen yelling at each other in south Evanston.

Still, the ordinance will not come before the council at Tuesday’s meeting because it was not put on the agenda, said Ald. Steven Bernstein (4th), the head of the committee.

“You have to have 48 hours’ notice to put an item on the agenda,” he said. “We have a process.”

Also at the committee meeting Monday night, aldermen accepted a plan to create a Citizens Police Advisory Committee to oversee citizen complaints against police officers.

At the meeting, resident Madelyn Ducre said the plan is needed after accusations of police harassment and discrimination.

“I basically think the police do a good job,” Ducre told The Daily last month. “But I kid you not, there’s a lot of stuff happening. And it’s not just (against) blacks, it’s white people too, (if) they have their hair in the wrong style.”

The proposal presented to the committee Monday had been approved by Police Chief Richard Eddington after more than a year of preparation.

But it was far from final. Instead, the proposal was more of a framework for what will eventually be adopted with specific details, Bernstein pointed out.

“This is sort of a structure and a mission statement for the committee,” he said. “We’re trying to do this in order to start the process.”