All aboard the U.S.S. Stevens

It’s never too early in a season for a coach to find a team image.

Baseball fans, welcome to the pride of Evanston and one of the best Northwestern sports attractions. The Paul Stevens riverboat is now open for business.

Riverboat gambling was legalized in the state of Illinois in February 1990. At that time, Stevens and the Wildcats were preparing for his fourth season manning the dugout.

After his 21st home-opening series at Rocky Miller Park this past weekend, the skipper believes this year’s team is ready to leave all of its cards on the table.

The Wildcats’ series against the Spartans provided its share of rocky waters. Take a lopsided 12-6 loss Friday, through a current of subpar pitching that may have left spectators wondering if it was worth attending.

Through two innings, sophomore hurler Joe Muraski was cruising through the Spartans’ lineup. But two walks and a hit batter to start the top of the third helped Michigan State rake in five runs.

NU never got those quarters back, but managed to keep its ship afloat, thanks to some great sightseeing in the final two games.

“Sometimes you’ve got to be a riverboat gambler, staying aggressive,” Stevens said. “You’ve got to play like there’s nothing to lose and everything to gain.”

Anteing up late, the Cats kept the riverboat moving. What NU gained was two Big Ten home wins, propelling them back into the middle of the conference standings. The Cats’ wait for their second conference win at home in 2007 was slightly longer – it came May 18 against Purdue.

Tabbed as the weakness of the 2008 team, a pocket pair of pitchers put the Cats back on track.

Senior starter Bo Schultz pitched his second complete game of the season in the second game of Saturday’s doubleheader. Senior reliever Matt Havey mowed down 10 of the 12 batters he faced Sunday, maintaining his impressive team-leading 1.29 ERA.

Those efforts showcased a picturesque game of Texas Hold ‘Em – a community of players taking advantage of the opportunities given to them.

As Stevens put it, sometimes the best athletes are the ones with the shortest memories.

Naysayers may call the team’s 3-5 start in the Big Ten a typical early fold. But these Cats did anything but bluff. Those who went saw a Michigan State dugout that realized the equity of its opponent.

Freshman outfielder Nate Roberts slammed his bat in disgust after a fifth-inning strikeout with two on and the Cats leading 4-3.

“So what!” Stevens bellowed from the dugout. It was early-season energy from a house that ran its game all day Sunday.

“We were really quiet early in the season,” Owens said. “But we wanted to bring a lot of passion and energy to this series, especially after the first two losses.”

For a home opener, there was no tilt. And for building momentum into the Big Ten schedule, the Cats sure made a smooth call.