Cats defeat nation’s best to start year (Softball)

While temperatures sunk to single digits in Evanston, the Northwestern softball team was out in warm and sunny Temple, Ariz., proving itself against some of the nation’s elite.

The Wildcats (4-0) defeated No. 1 Arizona and No. 3 Texas A&M in the nation over the weekend and finished the Kajikawa Classic with four wins in as many games.

Rain halted Friday’s game against the third-ranked Aggies with the Cats ahead, 8-4; the finish was postponed until Sunday. On Saturday, the Cats defeated top-ranked Arizona 8-5, thanks to a 12-strikeout complete game by sophomore Lauren Delaney. The win was the team’s first-ever victory over its Wildcat counterparts, who had trounced NU in the 2006 College World Series.

The Cats rolled over Idaho State later that day, 14-2, behind three home runs.

Sunday saw the team finish what it started on Friday. Texas A&M staged a furious comeback, but NU prevailed 8-7 behind a spectacular play from sophomore left fielder Ashley Lafever, who went over the fence to snare a potential game-tying home run in the seventh and final inning.

Delaney picked up the win, her second of the weekend. She added her third victory later in the day, as NU defeated Nebraska 8-6.

It is the first time in program history that the team finished opening weekend undefeated.

Junior Tammy Williams was NU’s star at the plate, hitting a torrid .786 (11-14) for the weekend. Williams smacked a home run against Idaho State and finished the Classic with a 1.071 slugging percentage.

She was named Big Ten Player of the Week on Monday.

The Cats travel to California next weekend to participate in the Palm Springs Classic, where they are scheduled to play five games, including two against top-10 foes LSU and UCLA.