NU students robbed in Burger King bathroom

The assault and robbery at Burger King on Thursday was an “isolated incident,” said restaurant manager Peter Anant on Sunday.

Anant said no security personnel were on duty when the incident occurred at 9:05 p.m. He declined to comment further.

Two Northwestern students, both 20-year-old females, were in the women’s bathroom of the restaurant, 1740 Orrington Ave., when two women assaulted them, Evanston police said.

The women demanded the purses of both students and sprayed both in the face with pepper spray, said Cmdr. James Elliot of the Evanston Police Department. One of the students had her purse taken, while the other was punched in the face but kept her purse.

Neither student required medical attention after the assault.

Burger King employs security personnel, but they don’t arrive until 10 p.m., Anant said.

Rumors surfaced Friday that the incident involved sexual assault, but the victims did not report that to police, said Elliot, who said he had been called three times Friday about the possibility of sexual assault.

After the incident the attackers, both described as 18 to 19 years old with heavy builds and wearing dark clothing, fled the restaurant, police said. The students reported the incident to the manager, who called police.

The students are working with police to identify the offenders, Elliot said. While no arrests have been made, police do have a “person of interest in the case,” he said.

The stolen black leather purse contained identification, a digital camera worth $200, a cell phone worth $100 and $20 cash, police said. The students withdrew the cash from an ATM in the restaurant immediately before the students entered the bathroom, the victims reported.

– BRIAN ROSENTHAL