Planners happy with MLK Day event turnout

Though attendance at some Martin Luther King Jr. Day events decreased from last year’s numbers, having a day off for the holiday has become a precedent that will probably continue, university officials said Tuesday.

Northwestern canceled all classes on Martin Luther King Jr. Day for the second year in a row, hosting various commemorative events for students, faculty and Evanston residents.

Last year was the first time classes were canceled all day on the holiday. Previously, the university had given students a three-hour break to attend events related to the holiday.

“For a lot of people, it is really important to have the day off,” said Communication senior Nichole Roberts. “It is supposed to be a holiday and a day to remember Dr. King – because they actually want to go to the events.”

At the Campus Observance with Alexis M. Herman, former U.S. Secretary of Labor, the turnout decreased from last year’s morning event.

“There were definitely fewer students than we had last year,” said Burgwell Howard, co-chairman of the MLK Day planning committee and assistant to the vice president of student affairs.

Howard estimated that about 550 students attended this year, compared to about 1,000 attendees The Daily reported last year.

However, the 7 p.m. candlelight vigil, which has been hosted by Alpha Phi Alpha for 29 years, had more attendees than last year.

“I think it’s been the most people I’ve ever seen,” said Roberts, who has attended the vigil all four years. “Every seat was filled.”

President and Founder of the Equal Justice Society Eva Jefferson Paterson, Weinberg ’71, spoke at the vigil to NU students, parents, faculty and Evanston residents.

Rodney Carew, co-chairman of Alpha Phi Alpha, thought the student turnout was impressive.

“We had a full chapel,” the Weinberg junior said. “It was great to have the community from Evanston and students together.”

The number of students who participated in the day of service program also increased, due in part to more Evanston community service sites.

“Last year we had about 40 (participants), and that number basically doubled,” Howard said. “So on that bitter, cold Saturday, we had about 75 to 80 people volunteering.”

Howard said he predicts the university will continue “to maintain a full day of observance” in the future.

“I think the precedent has been set,” he said. “The NU schedule is so crazy and our students are always going 100 miles an hour. It’s taking time out of our schedules to remember, celebrate and act.”

Faculty events also drew greater numbers. The planning committee changed last year’s faculty gathering to a morning brunch, partnering with the NU Staff Advisory Council. This year’s brunch was well attended, Howard said.

“I received a note last night from a faculty member and a student and they were just really impressed,” he said. “We even had folks coming up from other colleges.”

Roberts said she feels an even more personal connection to the events.

“I’m from Atlanta and my grandparents were very involved in the movement,” Roberts said. “My grandma actually went to school with Dr. King and they knew each other. Dr. King has always been really important to me and my family.”

Reach Sisi Wei at [email protected].