Speaker encourages action, awareness

The lilting opening notes of “Amazing Grace” rang through Pick-Staiger Concert Hall on Monday, beginning Northwestern’s observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

Community members, Evanston middle school students and NU students listened to musical performances and a keynote address from former U.S. Secretary of Labor Alexis Herman, who encouraged students to “show up and stand up.”

The concert hall was a little more than half-full for the 11 a.m. event, mostly with Evanston residents, NU officials and event organizers.

Board of Trustees Chairman Patrick Ryan, Evanston Mayor Lorraine Morton and Associated Student Government President Jonathan Webber gave introductory remarks after several musical performances by the University Chorale and several students from the School of Music. The audience was invited to sing along to “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” before the Chorale performed a musical arrangement of King’s famed “I Have a Dream” speech.

Herman, who was the first African-American to lead the U.S. Department of Labor, gave a brief history of King’s life and accomplishments, emphasizing how King was just 26 years old when he led the Montgomery bus boycotts. She also discussed how the issues of King’s day are still urgent and immediate concerns today.

“In his day, Dr. King fought against the war in Vietnam. Today, we talk about the war in Iraq. No doubt today, we challenge the application of the law involving the Jena 6. Just 17 miles away, we have anti-Semitic graffiti defacing a Jewish cemetery,” she said. “Hatred and bigotry are still alive today.”

Herman urged the audience to both be aware of pressing issues as well as actively participate in the dialogue of activism and civic awareness.

“These are your issues,” Herman said. “Will you show up? Will you stand up and be counted? Dr. King said that anyone can be great, because anyone can serve.”

Herman passed on the advice of her 104-year-old grandmother:

“If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything,” and said that she feels younger people are becoming more politically active and aware.

“I’m encouraged, because I’ve seen students who really care about global warming and the environment,” she said. “The tide is turning.”

NU students in the audience said they appreciated the relevancy of Herman’s speech.

“She had pretty poignant remarks about our generation’s responsibility to continue the legacy of Dr. King,” Weinberg sophomore William Kalema said. “I was quite impressed.”

Weinberg sophomore Sijh Diagne, an international student from Senegal, said learning about King enhanced his understanding of American identity and history.

“Not really knowing about King until I arrived in America, I saw the impact that he has made on the American people,” he said.

“It really says a lot about the character of the country, and how much it has been through. It really resonated with me.”

Reach Sara Peck at [email protected].