Test of time

Is the duration of sex an important factor in determining whether or not the experience itself was pleasurable? Many men feel inadequate in the bedroom after letting go too soon. Unfortunately for women, it takes a lot longer to orgasm than the average time of two minutes for males.

Two minutes can sure seem like a split-second when you’re in the middle of enjoying yourself, but the time a man can pump away is generally not the most important aspect of sex to women. Sure, we all secretly hope our guy is some freak of nature that can only orgasm after we do, but sometimes it’s just not in the cards. I’m not going to lie, though, us girls do talk about how long our guys can last and can even sometimes create cruel nicknames like “minute-man” or “one-pump chump”-we’re horrible, I know.

So, the average time of orgasm for males is two minutes after penetration, while for women it is ten to twenty minutes. Damn, I guess it’s hopeless for us ladies out there-or is it? Lasting only two minutes is not necessarily a bad thing. It could be taken as a compliment that you turn him on so much that he orgasms so quickly. But, it can cause some frustration if your girl gets repeatedly left behind while you go to sleep feeling fulfilled. On the other hand, no sensible female honestly wants her guy to last too long, for it would undoubtedly mean some dry, rough, and painful thrusting.

Thinking about the average length of time from penetration to orgasm for guys, I simply must revisit the issue of foreplay. If your woman is heavily prepped, there is no reason why those two minutes shouldn’t be enough time. It’s the guys that disregard foreplay that have unhappy partners, because two minutes, or sometimes even less, is not nearly enough time to become aroused and orgasm, at least not for most girls. So let’s say you spend about ten to fifteen minutes on foreplay and the next two minutes actually having sex – that’s almost twenty minutes of pleasure, which should be plenty of time to get your girl to orgasm.

To all you guys out there reading this column don’t be ashamed by lasting only two minutes; almost 25% of the male population experiences premature ejaculation, so odds are your girl has already experienced a partner with a short “attention” span. If you want your woman to fall asleep content rather than sexually frustrated, I suggest heavy foreplay and unhurried sex. When you feel like you might be approaching the edge, back off a little until you regain your composure; don’t rush things. If all else fails, you can still make it up to her by either trying again or by finishing her off after you’re done. Girls appreciate nothing more than a guy unyielding in his venture to please his partner-it’s almost a sign of respect and common courtesy.

Remember, if you’re able to get off, why shouldn’t your girl receive the same treatment? Let’s bring equality into the bedroom, even if it is only for two minutes. Be safe and have fun!

SESP sophomore Ellen DeBatty is a PLAY sex columnist. She can be reached at [email protected].