Men’s Soccer: DAILY picks Indiana to win rematch with Cats

FIRST ROUND

NO. 4 PENN STATE (7-8-3, 2-2-2 BIG TEN) VS. NO. 5 MICHIGAN STATE (11-4-3, 2-3-1), TODAY 9 A.M.Doug DeMartin led Michigan State with 11 goals and the team held opponents to a 0.48 goals-against average this season. Penn State was last in the conference in goals-against average and recorded two shutouts the entire year. The Nittany Lions have found ways to get draws this season – the two teams tied at East Lansing, Mich., earlier this season – but Penn State’s inability to score hurts against a hot Michigan State team in an elimination tournament. DAILY Pick: Michigan State.

NO. 3 NORTHWESTERN (11-3-3, 3-2-1) VS. NO. 6 WISCONSIN (6-6-6, 0-3-3), THURSDAY 11:30 A.M.The No. 14 Wildcats defeated the Badgers 3-0 at Lakeside Field on Oct. 6. While the offense was the highlight of that game, the defense has been outstanding for NU. The team tied its school record for shutouts in a year with nine this season. The Cats are also first in the Big Ten in goals-against average. The Badgers are last in the Big Ten in goals scored per game. Wisconsin faces a veteran defense which has some experience winning tournament games from last year’s run to the Elite Eight. DAILY Pick: NU

NO. 2 OHIO STATE (11-3-4, 4-1-1) VS. NO. 7 MICHIGAN (10-6-2, 0-4-2), THURSDAY 2 P.M.Michigan featured the top offense in the Big Ten this season, scoring a conference-leading 1.89 goals per game. The No. 18 Buckeyes have one of the better defenses in the Big Ten, giving up 0.79 goals per game. The Wolverines have been able to survive games where they have been outplayed, but have failed to win. Michigan lost to Ohio State 1-0 in overtime Oct. 27 on senior day at Ohio State. Four of the Wolverines’ six conference games went to overtime. With its back to the wall, Michigan may finally be able to get a conference win. DAILY Pick: Michigan

SEMIFINALS

NO. 1 INDIANA (12-4-3, 4-0-2) VS. NO. 5 MICHIGAN STATE, FRIDAY 11 A.M., BIG TEN NETWORKBoth the Hoosiers and the Spartans have goal-against averages below 1.00. No. 9 Indiana features some fantastic defensive talent, including defender Ofori Sarkodie, who played for the Under-20 United States National team this past summer. He helped the Hoosiers get a Big Ten-best 10 shutouts. Michigan State’s defense is strong, but Indiana is familiar with winning Big Ten tournament games and has a more balanced offensive attack, plus the helpful first-round bye. DAILY Pick: Indiana

NO. 3 NORTHWESTERN VS. NO. 7 MICHIGAN, FRIDAY 1:30 P.M., BIG TEN NETWORKWhen NU traveled to Ann Arbor, Mich., on Oct. 20 they left with a scoreless tie. The two teams leading the Big Ten in goals per game both could not score. But the Cats definitely dominated the game, outshooting the Wolverines 19-5. NU may not get that shot advantage in this game, but they should not give up much defensively either. The offense should break through and get at least one this time. DAILY Pick: NU

FINALS

NO. 1 INDIANA VS. NO. 3 NORTHWESTERN, SUNDAY 2 P.M., BIG TEN NETWORKThe Cats were without sophomore midfielder Carl Pett when the Hoosiers came to Evanston and won 1-0 on Oct. 14. Pett is back and his effect on the field has been very noticeable. NU is 9-1-3 with Pett and 2-2-0 without him. These are the two best teams in the Big Ten, featuring the two best defenses and the most balanced offenses. NU can play Indiana even. But the Cats have struggled in the past few weeks, going 2-1-2 since their loss to the Hoosiers. Having Pett in the lineup helps keep the game close, but Indiana narrowly escapes and wins its 12th Big Ten title. DAILY Pick: Indiana

– Philip Rossman-Reich