Police volunteer wins state award for service

Every Friday, Evanston local Trish Barr rises at 7:30 a.m. to bake chocolate chip cookies. She brings a fresh batch with her to the Evanston Police Department where she volunteers weekly from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. performing clerical work.

For her dedication to the department, including baking treats and redecorating rooms, Barr was honored by the Illinois TRIAD during its annual conference in September in Bradley, Ill. The Illinois TRIAD, composed of the National Sheriff’s Association, the International Association of the Chiefs of Police and the American Association of Retired Persons, aims to prevent and raise awareness of crime against senior citizens.

Each year TRIAD holds a conference in which participating law enforcement departments can nominate a person to be recognized for his or her volunteering. After reviewing the nominees, TRIAD members select two people to recognize. Barr was awarded the Illinois TRIAD Senior Volunteer of the Year Award for her service to the Evanston community.

“It’s the first time since I’ve been nominating people that our nominee has won the statewide award,” said Amanda Jones, EPD’s senior services coordinator. “Trish believed (volunteering) should have a sense of civil responsibility and it should be fun, and she brings that attitude to the department.”

Every Friday, Barr performs clerical work, such as filing and shredding papers, and making phone calls for EPD.

“You have uniformed trained officers doing things like getting the mail room ready,” Barr said. “They shouldn’t be doing shredding and things like that. But who’s going to do it? It’s not going to do itself.”

Barr takes on tasks that free other people to address more serious issues, EPD Deputy Chief Joseph Bellino said.

“She’s the epitome of volunteerism