Senator urges schools to fight moment of silence

An Evanston state senator is urging local schools to seek exemption from a new state law that requires classes to observe a moment of silence at the beginning of each day.

Illinois Sen. Jeff Schoenberg (D-Evanston) wrote a letter to the Evanston/Skokie District 65 Board of Education last month, urging them to apply to the state for a formal waiver. The board plans to begin discussion over the Silent Reflection and Student Prayer Act at its next public meeting Monday.

Schoenberg wrote in the letter that he opposes the law because it adds to an already burdensome amount of administrative tasks in schools, does not provide guidelines for how districts can fulfill the mandate and is potentially an opportunity for inserting religious practices into the school day.

“Despite attempts by proponents (of the law) to make it appear that it has nothing to do with school prayer, it does stand at that doorstep,” Schoenberg said. “It makes many people of faith uncomfortable that (the moment of silence) is required.”

The law reads, “This period shall not be conducted as a religious exercise but shall be an opportunity for silent prayer or for silent reflection on the anticipated activities of the day.” It was originally vetoed by Illinois Democratic Gov. Rod Blagojevich, but the Illinois House overrode that veto Oct. 11.

District 65 has yet to take action, but several board members expressed individual resentment after a public meeting Oct. 15.

“I wish (the state legislature) would just butt out of our school day, ” said Mary Erickson, president of the District 65 Board of Education.

In the past, individual school districts could decide whether or not to observe a moment of silence, Schoenberg said.

Candace Hill, a member of the Parent Teacher Association at Chute Middle School, said she disagrees with the change in policy because of Evanston’s religious diversity.

“What people do not understand is that D65 is extremely diverse,” she said. “Teachers may disagree with what a family views as appropriate. I am fearful that (the law) would not be delivered consistently across the state.”

Stel Valavanis, father of two Kingsley Elementary School students, disagreed with the potentially religious nature of the law.

“If I were a legislator, I would definitely vote against it because some people do not pray at all,” he said.

Valavanis also said he agreed with Schoenberg’s argument that the only lobbying proponents of the law were religious leaders.

The District 65 Board of Education will discuss the law at 7 p.m. Nov. 5 at the Joseph E. Hill Education Center, 1500 McDaniel Ave.

Reach Sean Walsh at [email protected].