Football: Bowl hopes ride on last three games

At the close of practice on Halloween in 2006, Northwestern had a good idea of what its costume would be for the remainder of the season.

With a 2-6 record, the Wildcats entered Iowa City, Iowa, searching for its first win in the Big Ten. It appeared spoiler would be the Cats’ role down the stretch.

But a year later, the holiday atmosphere around Ryan Field in preparation for this week’s contest with the Hawkeyes was different.

“It’s crunch time,” coach Pat Fitzgerald said. “It’s the fourth quarter of the season. You work 11 months for this kind of opportunity.”

The scenario for NU is simple. One win? Eligible. Two wins? Eye-opener.

Three wins? – stop right there.

According to the Cats’ seniors, the focus has never been beyond each game on their schedule. With three meaningful games remaining in his college career, senior linebacker Eddie Simpson had one word for the situation NU is in right now: special.

“You take it one day at a time, one play at a time and cherish each moment,” Simpson said. “You just try to make every play that comes your way and be the best player that you can be.”

But as the team’s mental edge remains fixated on a game-by-game basis, the players have brought their knowledge of the clock ticking to the field. It was undeniable for fifth-year senior Adam Kadela, whose 37 tackles in the last three games have catapulted him to 28th nationally in tackles per game (10.2).

“I feel like I’ve been on borrowed time,” Kadela said. “That feeling is getting even stronger. There’s a bigger sense of urgency to do what I can for this team.”

THE BIG PLAY FACTOR

In a quarter that NU preaches to be its time to shine, the team appeared to be out of gas in the fourth quarter Saturday. After watching the film, Fitzgerald said the Cats came to play for 18 minutes after halftime, but did not put together a complete second half.

Not finishing might have been an understatement, as NU mustered four yards during the entire quarter. Potential explanation? A lack of big plays.

Through nine games this season, NU has recorded 65 plays for 20 or more yards, with 27 of those plays recorded during the Cats’ three-game winning streak.

The team reeled off five plays of 20 or more yards in West Lafayette, Ind., with four of them coming on special teams. It was the smallest big play total for NU’s offense this season.

“We didn’t make the plays that winners make in the fourth quarter, that we have throughout the course of the year,” Fitzgerald said, “(plays) that have made us successful and helped us win five football games.”

TALE OF THE TAPE

Turnovers have held great value in the Cats’ first nine games in 2007. NU is 5-0 when they have forced equal or more turnovers than opponents this season. The Cats were 6-4 in their Sun Bowl run in those same situations … Kadela was named by his team as defensive player of the game for the third consecutive week, after posting 10 tackles against Purdue.

Reach Chris Gentilviso at [email protected].