Spoken word draws students to AfriCafe to hear poetry, music

A haze of incense smoke settled over the room as the next performer took the stage. The performer, graduate student Javon Johnson, gave the audience a choice – his funny material or his serious beat poetry.

They chose to laugh.

“People all kings and queens, black/They’re not enslaving our bodies but our minds, black,” Johnson said. “I’m gonna end every line with black!/Black.”

For Johnson and others, AfriCafe is a no-holds-barred night of expression where students can strum, rap, laugh, opine, yell, cry and cheer – a celebration of the human spirit.

With performances each quarter, steadily increasing attendance and a devout group of talented, diverse performers, AfriCafe has become a Northwestern tradition, organizers said.

The “coffeehouse” event brings students together from across the university to showcase their talents through spoken-word performance. Thursday’s AfriCafe, held in the African American Student Affairs House on Sheridan Road, attracted more than 80 students, the highest attendance organizers have ever seen.

“It’s a fun event. I like to see people gather,” said Weinberg junior Quan Hall, who read original poetry. “I like to see the diversity and the different styles of culture, the different personalities.”

Thursday was the first time Hall has performed at AfriCafe; more than half of the event’s 10 performers were newcomers.

African Student Association President Karen Attiah said the annual event is like famous Chicago comedy club Second City for undiscovered talent.

“It’s a good way for them to get comfortable performing at a new place, especially for minorities who are interested in theater but are intimidated by big, community culture,” the Communication senior said. “It’s an opportunity for people to get comfortable performing and encourage them to do bigger and better things.”

Regardless of the subject matter, the event’s positive environment fosters creativity, Attiah said.

“We’ve had performances ranging from cultural subjects, to really deeply personal stories, to political,” Attiah said. “It’s everything and anything in between.”

Hall performed his original poems “War Child,” about persevering in the midst of hopelessness, and “An Artist’s Compromise,” which depicts an artist in dire straits without money or a place to write poetry.

“I’m not really a spoken-word artist – that’s what you would consider most people here,” he said. “I’m more of a Langston Hughes type.”

At the end of the event, the floor was opened to attendees to interact with performers and try their hand at poetry with an open mic.

Jeniece Fleming, a SESP junior, performed Diana Ross’ “Carry On” during the open mic session.

“There’s a lot of talent (here). Northwestern events like this help you open your mind to people from other cultures,” she said. “(It’s about) having to make life your own and dealing with being different.”

The event attracts a more diverse group of students than when it began five or six years ago and fosters friendships between students who wouldn’t normally find common ground, Attiah said.

“People of all races come and share their personal experiences,” she said. “More and more people of different racial backgrounds want to perform. Through performance and art, you can definitely bring people together.”

Hall said the event is an opportunity for students to grow as not just performers, but as people as well. He said he draws his inspiration from his life experiences.

“(Here) everything you are confronted with – many obstacles, family, friends, relationships – it’s intimate. You really actually get to know the people who are here, get to shake hands one-on-one,” he said. “I love when people come and ask me questions. I love that I can be heard.”

Reach Kristin Ellertson at

[email protected].