Attraction under microscope at Celtic Knot

A statement like “Sociologists have found that mate preferences have changed dramatically in the last century,” is usually not heard in the back room of the Celtic Knot Public House. Neither is “Human perceptions of their own paradigm for attractiveness are often wrong.”

But Wednesday night, the pub at 626 Church St. hosted a public forum about “The Science of Human Attraction,” held by psychology Prof. Eli Finkel and doctoral student Paul Eastwick.

The presentation was the second in the monthly Science Cafe Evanston series, organized by Northwestern’s scientific research society, Sigma Xi.

“We started discussing the idea six months ago,” said Morteza Rahimi, chapter president of Sigma Xi and NU’s vice president of Information Technology. The idea came from similar programs in England and France, Rahimi said.

The session began with a 25-minute introduction to the subject by Finkel and Eastwick, followed by questions and discussion from the crowd. The psychologists discussed topics ranging from Internet and speed dating to the changing norms of mate preferences over the past century. There was a short half-time break for the audience to refill their beverages, most of which were Irish beers.

The only complaint from attendees was the lack of space in the Celtic Knot’s back room, filled by about 50 people.

“This is an awesome way for scientists to access the community in a casual atmosphere,” said Daniel Braitwaiti, an executive recruiter from Chicago who attended Wednesday’s event. “But, the room could be bigger.”

NU graduate student Meagan Morscher shared similar sentiments.

“I was expecting less people in a smaller group,” Morscher said. “It’s still really interesting, though. Everyone is so energetic.”

Rahimi said he expects even larger crowds as the year goes on.

“It was fun,” Finkel said. “I had very few expectations about what was going to happen. I was excited to see so many people in such a cool environment.”

Earth and planetary sciences Prof. Seth Stein hosted the first Science Cafe Evanston session, on Sept. 19, about the possibility of earthquakes in the Midwest.

“It was very well organized,” said Stein, about the event. “It was fun for everyone, both Northwestern students and Evanston residents.”

Members of Sigma Xi are excited about the program’s popularity.

“Our job is to promote research with young people and make the public aware of the impacts of science,” Rahimi said. “Science is not only important to scientists, but to our future as a society.”

The next Science Cafe Evanston, titled “Things That Stick and Sticking to Things: Geckos, Mussels and Other Adhesive Strategies of Nature,” will be held from 6 to 7:30 p.m. on Nov. 14 at the Celtic Knot.

Reach Sean Walsh at [email protected].