D65 fills vacant seat at Monday night meeting

Andrew Pigozzi, who unsuccessfully ran for a seat on the Evanston/Skokie District 65 Board of Education in April, was unanimously appointed to a recently vacated seat at the board’s meeting Monday night.

According to law, the board had 45 days to name a new member, after Sharon Sheehan resigned on Sept. 26. Sheehan had opposed the extension of Superintendent Hardy Murphy’s contract, which took place two days prior to her resignation. In a letter to a local media outlet, she also publicly denounced the board for what she considered to be a refusal to change and improve education in District 65.

In April, citizens voted to fill three School Board seats, but Pigozzi finished fourth with 17 percent of the vote. After his loss, however, he continued to be involved with district administration, serving on the Board’s environmental committee. Pigozzi has previously worked with several public school districts in the Chicago area as a school planner and architect.

The six standing members of the Board interviewed Pigozzi and nine other applicants in a closed-door session Monday afternoon.

Mary Erickson, the board’s president, said the most important criterion for the job were the applicants’ motivation for applying, previous involvement with District 65 and understanding of the position.

“The fact that (Pigozzi) has continued to work with the district and went through the campaign process was a very big plus,” Erickson said.

Pigozzi said his main goal is to successfully finish the unexpired term.

“I am going to listen carefully and work with the board,” he said after the meeting.

The meeting also was attended by approximately 20 District 65 math teachers, who spoke about what they considered to be an attitude of disrespect from the board at its previous meeting. During public comment on Oct. 1, the board discussed the possibility of extending Evanston Township High School’s geometry program to middle schools in Evanston. The teachers felt that comments made by parents and board members did not fairly represent their ability to teach geometry to middle school students.

“We need board members who will stand up for us,” Haven Middle School math teacher Paula Zelinski said. She also asked the board to “acknowledge the wealth of talent and the good that we do.”

After a string of three minute formal presentations by the teachers, most members of the board offered apologies and appreciation toward the math departments in District 65.

“I realize that the heart of District 65 is our teachers,” Murphy said. “There is a protocol for civility which gives us an opportunity for us all to come together.”

Murphy also suggested a collaborative meeting in the near future, regarding the future of the geometry program.

The next Board of Education meeting will take place at 7 p.m. on Nov. 5 at the Joseph E. Hill Education Center at 1500 McDaniel Ave.

Reach Sean Walsh at [email protected].