Q&A: Kim Thompson (Gameday)

Daily Sports: What has been your most memorable game at NU?

Kim Thompson: There have been so many good games. I think the most memorable game I played in was my first game at TCU (a double-overtime loss). I didn’t play in the game and wasn’t used to the speed of college football but it was definitely a great learning experience.

Daily Sports: What has been your most humbling experience as a college football player?

Kim Thompson: As a receiver, anytime you drop the ball it’s a humbling experience. It’s our job to catch the ball. It’s not bringing that ball all the way in. You start taking things for granted that you can take the ball up the field.

Daily Sports: Do you have any special pre-game rituals?

Kim Thompson: I just get a little stretching in, go around the field, do a little warm-up and look around in the stands. Usually there’s nobody out there, so it’s nice to get a feel for it. Then I put my pads on and I’m ready to go out there.

Daily Sports: What’s Kim Thompson like in the locker room?

Kim Thompson: People will tell you I’m quiet and I’m really serious. But I’m the one joking around and having a good time. I’m quiet, but I’m not shy by any means. I’m not the one to hold things back.

Daily Sports: What’s the strength of this year’s receiving corps?

Kim Thompson: We have so many options. We can go from top to bottom: Me and T.J. (Jones), Ross (Lane), Jeff Yarbrough. Everybody can play, and anybody can make plays. What makes it special is you can stop one guy and someone on the other side will kill you.

Daily Sports: Do you have a favorite Big Ten stadium?

Kim Thompson: I don’t have a favorite. It’s just about getting to see every other stadium. All the fields are the same measurement. I think they all have their own different things.

Daily Sports: What are some of those things?

Kim Thompson: Ohio state is about seeing all the red. Purdue is about the little guy running on the field with a drum. Every stadium has its own little thing. It’s just fun to play.

Daily Sports: What is the team’s goal for this season?

Kim Thompson: Our goal is to win the Big Ten championship. We’re going to take it one game at a time.

Daily Sports: What’s Kim Thompson’s goal for his final season?

Kim Thompson: For me, it’s being healthy. If I stay healthy and our receiving corps stays healthy, we’ll have a successful team. We’ll be able to do what we want to do.

Reach Chris Gentilviso at

c-gentilviso at northwestern.edu.