NU Grant Allows Competition

By Stephen BlackmanContributing Writer

Northwestern continued its longtime support of local schools by announcing a $25,000 grant to support the Middle School Sports Program.

The grant will allow Evanston/Skokie School District 65, which contains the local elementary and middle schools, to introduce competitive after-school athletics for sixth, seventh and eighth graders.

“The district is very excited to receive this commitment from Northwestern, and we’re very happy that NU continues to be a business partner in the community,” said Pat Markham, communications manager for the school district.

Nichols Middle School PTA co-President Kate Brady, whose seventh- and eighth-grade children plan to play volleyball in the new program, said the new athletic offerings will enhance the current curriculum at the schools.

“It’s good for the kids,” Brady said. “I think it builds school spirit … and enhances learning. I think it’s wonderful.”

The money will be used to purchase new, longer-use uniforms rather than the single-season “disposable” ones the school teams use now, Markham said.

The program will include boys’ soccer and girls’ volleyball in the fall, boys’ and girls’ basketball in the winter and boys’ volleyball and girls’ soccer in the spring. Plans are underway to add track and field in the future, according to a statement from Valorie Moore, assistant superintendent of school operations for District 65 .

“As in the past, Northwestern has again responded to our request to enter into an educational partnership which will benefit our Middle School Athletic Program,” Moore said. “We are excited about this new venture and welcome their continued support.”

Students will compete against schools within the district, and intramural sports will continue to be available as well.

Despite the grant from NU, students will still be required to pay a participation fee in order to offset transportation, officiating and uniform costs, according to the district’s Web site.

“My only concern (with the program) is making sure that all are involved,” Brady said. “I want every kid to be able to participate, regardless of cost, and I think the grant really helps with that. We’re very grateful.”

NU has had a long-standing philanthropic relationship with local schools, said Eugene Sunshine, NU’s senior vice president for business and finance.

“We believe that recreation and athletic activities and competition (are) an integral part of a student’s learning experience,” Sunshine said.

But he was also quick to emphasize the academics-first nature of the program.

“We were attracted by the steadfast attention of District 65 administrators to ensure that good academic performance was (tied) into these athletics,” he said.

Participants in the new competitive league will be required to maintain minimum academic and behavioral standards in order to compete, Sunshine said.

Previous NU contributions to District 65 include $500,000 in cash and services to a program known as Project EXCITE, which cultivates math and science skills in academically talented minority children in grades three through eight. The program also aims to close the academic achievement gap in math and science between minority and non-minority students.

District 65 serves more than 6,400 students in 10 elementary schools, three middle schools, two K-8 magnet schools and one special education school.

Reach Stephen Blackman at [email protected].