Position change pays dividends for senior (Women’s Soccer)

By Pritish Behuria

With senior Shannon Schneeman injured the whole of the 2005 season and playing in an unfamiliar defensive role the next season, it has been awhile since she played in her favorite position in center midfield.

So far this season, though, Schneeman has dominated the middle of the pitch and looks like she’s been playing there for all of her college career.

With six goals so far, Schneeman’s presence in the center has added to the Wildcats’ offensive presence and her goals have taken pressure off the forwards.

“She’s on a mission to win games,” coach Stephanie Erickson said. “She’s a creative player and likes to distribute the ball. At center back she was limited as to how forward she could get, but now she has the freedom to do that.”

Schneeman has been playing with a greater urgency this season and said she expected the Cats to better last season’s record.

To do this, the Cats will need more performances like Schneeman’s heroic display against UNC-Greensboro earlier this month.

With NU down two goals that day, Schneeman displayed her leadership and competitive spirit. After freshman Sam Greene posted the first goal of her NU career, Schneeman propelled the Cats to a 3-2 victory with two goals of her own.

“That performance was symptomatic of the way she plays,” Erickson said. “In the Greensboro game, she led the team with responsibility and put the team on her back.”

Most of Schneeman’s goals this season have come from outside the box, and she has exposed defenses by freeing up space and attacking on the dribble.

“I like to get forward and have managed to take a lot of shots that have come off this year,” Schneeman said.

Last season, Schneeman was pushed into a defensive role to provide experience and stability. She impressed in her new role and was named in ESPN the Magazine All-District First Team.

“Ali (Rubnitz) and Kay (Katherine Sampson) were both walk-ons and not ready to play last season,” Erickson said. “Shannon’s stability at the back was an important part of our game last season.”

This season, sophomores Rubnitz and Sampson have formed a solid partnership in the back, allowing only eight goals in the 10 matches played so far. Their success has allowed Schneeman to concentrate on her preferred attacking role.

“Our defenders played really well in the spring and that’s allowed me to move into the midfield which is where I started my career,” Schneeman said.

This weekend, Schneeman and the Cats will be boosted by the recovery of junior Jeannette Lorme, who is a more defensive-minded midfielder.

Lorme’s inclusion will see Indiana face a more threatening NU this weekend, with Schneeman taking even more license to follow her attacking instincts.

“It’s going to be a tough game but we’re feeling pretty good,” Schneeman said. “We have to be aware though that they’re going to be gunning for us since we beat them last season.”

Reach Pritish Behuria at [email protected].