Some final words to the incoming class

I guess I have the final word in this issue, and so I first wanted to welcome the class of 2011 to Northwestern.I had no idea what was going on the summer before freshman year, so if any of you are freaking out, don’t worry. I was calling my peer advisor at 1 in the morning some nights because I was so confused. I’m pretty sure that’s why she didn’t talk to me when I showed up at school.I’m not sure what I was expecting. I guess I had grown up watching “Saved by the Bell: The College Years” and somehow thought there was some truth to it.South Mid-Quads was not Saved by the Bell (shocking, I know). The rooms were small and there were some weird smells on the first floor (I blame the guys living there). But dorm life will be the most important part of your freshman year. Whether you live in a big or small dorm, co-ed or single sex, you have to give it a chance. Don’t stay in your room, or at least don’t close the door. And no one will mind if you walk into their room and introduce yourself. Other than that, enjoy freshman year. Everyone says it goes fast, and as much as you might not want to believe it, everyone is right. Some final thoughts:Don’t pull the fire alarm in your first week of school. Trust me, you will get written up.You’re freshmen now, which means people will always blame you for things you can’t control. Taking up too much room on the sidewalk, not walking fast enough, holding up the line at Norris because you don’t know what to order and whatever else is annoying upperclassmen today. Don’t take it personally, most likely you’ll act the same way after your first year, too.Steal from the dining halls. I’ll probably get into a lot of trouble for saying that, but I wouldn’t have any silverware or plates in my apartment today if Allison Dining Hall hadn’t provided them.Drama is completely overrated and kills friendships. Don’t get hung up on who is hooking up with who in the dorm. You should have left that attitude back in high school.Winter Quarter will almost always be the worst quarter at Northwestern. Everyone suffers from Seasonal Affective Disorder and there’s no escaping it. Just remember that Spring Quarter will more than make up for any second thoughts you’re having on college.Do what you want. Many people made fun of me for joining The Daily and basically becoming a tool of the newspaper. It’s true, but without The Daily I wouldn’t have gotten any internships or had any of the perks (like a free Rolling Stones concert last October). Same with Greek life. Don’t just rush because the girls around you are and don’t opt out of it just because everyone will make fun of you. Make up your own mind. You only have four years here, and by the end of it, don’t look back and regret not doing something just because you thought it wasn’t cool. We’re Northwestern, we’re all dorks.Now that I’m on the other end of the four years, there are definitely things I had done differently. Most importantly would be to have loosened up more early on. You might feel self-conscious coming into this new environment, but don’t waste time worrying about how you come off. It’s not worth it.So have fun and enjoy it. Welcome to Northwestern.Reach Emmet Sullivan at [email protected].