Dialing into campus: cell phone service at NU

Let me share something I learned from when I lost my cell phone in my dorm room for three days: Living without a cell phone on this campus is next to impossible.It might be as simple as calling to go to dinner or as difficult as getting your roommate’s keys while you’re stuck in the hallway in a towel, but either way, cell phones are a necessary accessory.

verizonVerizon can be the greatest or worst service. It works in Norris University Center more than other phones, but will randomly cut you off in a dining hall or even on certain sides of your room. The plus side to Verizon is that most students have the same service (and probably even the same phone). You can commiserate together, and it’s free to call.

sprintSprint users don’t report many problems with their service. At Norris, stand by the windows and you may be able to pick up a few bars. Tech and McTrib are also possibilities, depending on where you sit.

t-mobileWe would share how T-mobile works on campus, but we have yet to find a student who uses T-mobile. If you use it, all we can say is good luck.

nextelNextel is one of the least carried phone services on campus, and it can be really tricky to call someone on it (Be prepared to hear “Please wait while the Nextel subscriber you are trying to reach is located” many times). The service can get signals in basements and Tech, but it’s immediately cut off once you walk through the main doors at Norris. It also can take a while to receive texts or voicemails.

AT&TAT&T, formerly Cingular Wireless, is the second most popular service after Verizon, and for good reason.”I get service everywhere expect in Norris and along the lake,” said Elizabeth Atwater, a Weinberg senior and AT&T user. “It always works in the dorm and my sorority house. It even works in the dining halls.”

tips on cell phone use? Cell phone use may be necessary on campus, but that doesn’t mean anyone has free reign to talk whenever and wherever they want. Consider these tips for how to manage your cell.? Get to love the vibrate function. Using vibrate may save you in class if you forget to turn off your phone (especially during a midterm, when people don’t exactly laugh if your phone goes off).? Don’t shout in public areas. If the person can’t hear you, you raising you’re voice won’t help, getting to a better signal area will. And no one thinks you’re cool if you’re yelling on your cell phone about the girl you hooked up with. If anything, people just think you’re lying.? Keep your cell phone on you. People will want to get in touch with you about random things (where to go for dinner, what happened in class), and don’t blame anyone else if you’re out of the loop because you left your phone on your desk.? Watch out for drunk dials. They very rarely make a good impression on someone.Reach Emmet Sullivan at [email protected]