Faces Of The Program (Softball)

By Philip Rossman-ReichThe Daily Northwestern

When senior Eileen Canney is in the circle, opponents shouldn’t expect much offensive production.

When senior Garland Cooper steps into the batter’s box, opponents scramble to find a way to get the slugger out.

When senior Katie Logan steps up to the plate, the player at third base creeps in expecting a bunt, but uncertain if Logan will send a slap past her and into left field.

But these players’ achievements, which give any opponent something to think about, aren’t what make this group special.

Instead it’s the interactions between them. The encouragement on the mound from the senior at first base as Canney works out of a jam. The excitement from the entire team as Cooper smashes another home run. The energy the team gets when Logan picks up that leadoff single.

Canney, Cooper and Logan are close friends and this friendship, along with their talent, has helped develop NU into a premier softball program.

“Any time you have a connection, especially when you are investing in something bigger than yourself, I think that’s when you have true potential to play your best and be your best as a person,” NU coach Kate Drohan said. “Whether it has been unconditional support or a little tough love, they really have been there for each other, so they can trust their environment, make themselves vulnerable and take risks.”

Ever since the trio’s freshman year, the Cats have improved how far they have reached in the NCAA Tournament – qualifying for the tournament in 2004, reaching the super regional round in 2005 and the College World Series championship series last season.

The Wildcats earned the No. 2 seed in this year’s NCAA Tournament – their highest seeding in school history.

The play of the three seniors has helped lead NU from a rising program to a national power.

Canney said the senior class has established a strong foundation to continue building a stronger program.

“Every year, we reinforce the Northwestern softball family and we add new people to it, and I think that it’s something that’s going to continue to grow in numbers and in strength,” Canney said. “I hope that we are able to teach the younger girls everything that we learned from the people that were older than us.”

When the three seniors arrived at NU, they weren’t coming to an established program. Prior to their arrival, the Cats had made the NCAA Tournament only twice in 16 seasons.

For Canney, Cooper and Logan, moving away from California and Arizona – home of traditional softball powers like UCLA and Arizona – and playing at NU was an ambitious move.

“It was definitely a program that was in a growth process,” Cooper said. “I knew that when I came here, and that was one of the things that drew me to Northwestern. (It had a) relatively new coaching staff, and the players and I really believed in what Kate told me and what the players said. I just wanted to be a part of it.”

Drohan said when recruiting she looks for players who will add something to the team outside of softball.

With Canney, Cooper and Logan, she found a group of players who have unique characteristics that work well together. They each bring a different type of leadership and personality to the team.

Logan called Cooper “a rock star.” Canney said Logan and Cooper are fun and energetic people who can get others to lighten up.

Cooper described Canney as “a very kind-hearted person,” and someone “you want to have as your friend because she’s always there for you.” To Cooper, Canney is someone who people gravitate toward and follow because of her personality.

The three seniors have formed a close friendship that extends beyond the field. They have lived together since their sophomore year, and senior Jessica Miller is often around their apartment.

“It’s awesome (living with Canney and Cooper),” Logan said. “They’re my sisters, they’re my best friends. I love them on and off the field. I like having them there for support when I’m playing and then when I’m not playing they are there too.”

Statistically this senior class has left its mark on the NU record books.

Cooper is arguably the best hitter in school history. She broke NU’s single season and career home run records. She is the first player in Big Ten history to win three player of the year awards and was the only unanimous selection to the All-Big Ten first team this season.

Canney was the third player in NU history to reach the 1,000-strikeout plateau. She has three no-hitters to her name and is second on the Cats’ all-time win list, trailing Lisa Ishikawa by six victories. Canney won her second straight Big Ten Pitcher of the Year award this season.

Logan has been a solid player even though she has not received the awards of her classmates. She is hitting .389 as the leadoff batter this year and .317 in her college career.

With such a close and talented group of seniors leaving after this season, it could be difficult to replace them.

But with the NCAA Tournament starting Friday, there are still many games left before the team has to say goodbye.

“I’m not thinking about (replacing the seniors) because I don’t need to do that,” Drohan said. “We’re going to enjoy it. They aren’t getting sappy on me. The rest of this month will be a celebration of us being together.”

Reach Philip Rossman-Reich at [email protected].