Governor Returns To Campus

By Katie RessmeyerThe Daily Northwestern

Gov. Rod Blagojevich said he has lost some friends since being elected governor of Illinois in 2002.

“If you want to lead, don’t expect to make everyone happy,” Blagojevich, Weinberg ’79, told audience members in Fisk Hall on Wednesday.

Before speaking about his political platform, Blagojevich talked about growing up in the Chicago suburbs and never being able to watch TV as a child. Because his older brother always controlled the remote, Blagojevich began reading the World Book Encyclopedia, a gift from his mother. He said it was those early experiences that piqued his interest in history, the subject he would choose as a major at NU.

Since those college days – when Blagojevich worked a side job as a pizza delivery boy – he has come a long way. He said one of the highlights of his early congressional career was having the opportunity to fly to Washington, D.C., on Air Force One with former President Bill Clinton.

“Even the most powerful person in the world has to be nice to a junior congressman,” he said at the event, hosted by Northwestern’s Political Awareness Organization.

Before boarding the plane, Clinton told Blagojevich that if he waved at the top of the stairs, he was guaranteed to make it on the evening news. Although Blagojevich said he didn’t see any reporters by the plane, he “waved at the top of the stairs to no one” and made it on the national news that night.

Blagojevich said while he was on the plane, Clinton gave him permission to call anyone he wanted. He said when he called his mother, rather than being excited for her son, she told him not to let Clinton get him into trouble.

Blagojevich also talked about more serious issues, specifically his plan to increase the availability of health insurance.

Health care is a right guaranteed by the Founding Fathers, a necessity to the pursuit of happiness, he said.

There are 1.4 million Illinois residents who do not have health insurance, he said. To combat this, Blagojevich said he plans to increase taxes for corporations.

“Big corporations haven’t been paying their fair share,” he said. “The fight we’re engaged in is really about fundamental tax fairness.”

Blagojevich said he is not criticizing corporations for their work, but it is his responsibility to represent the people.

“You hire us to be your lobbyists,” he said.

Throughout his speech, the governor encouraged students to become involved in politics. Students’ opinions are critical to the political process because they retain the idealism lost in older politicians, Blagojevich said.

“Historically, changes have come because the younger generation pressured the older generation,” he said. “If enough people raise their voices, they are going to hear you.”

Blagojevich’s encouragement is in line with the purpose of NU’s Political Awareness Organization. Co-founder Dan Schaffer, a Weinberg junior, said the group promotes involvement on both sides of the political spectrum.

Evanston Mayor Lorraine Morton, who introduced Blagojevich, said the group’s unbiased promotion of political involvement is advantageous.

“(The Political Awareness Organization) is going to do something great in the world,” Morton said.

Weinberg junior Sarah O’Shea said the strong level of interest Blagojevich has in his work showed during his speech.

“I was really impressed with how passionate he was about his politics, background, city and state,” O’Shea said.

Blagojevich said political successes can be attributed to the structure of American government.

“A lot of good things are happening out there,” Blagojevich said. “Our Constitution and our democracy work.”

Reach Katie Ressmeyer at [email protected].