ASG Senators Shift Election Voting To NU Link Site

By Elise Foley and Paul TakahashiThe Daily Northwestern

ASG senators approved the campus-wide election ballot and voting procedures during Wednesday’s meeting.

The ballot includes the names of all the candidates for the respective Associated Student Government positions as well as an option to choose “No Confidence.” Voters may also choose to write in a candidate in the April 10 election.

“I encourage you all to get involved in the campaigns,” said ASG President and Communication senior Jay Schumacher. “Get out the vote.”

Candidates in uncontested elections should still campaign aggressively, Schumacher added. Candidates can lose to “No Confidence” or to write-in candidates, he said.

Voting will now be on NU Link, the new student portal that will replace HereAndNow later this week. Students trying to access HereAndNow will be automatically re-routed to NU Link by Friday, said Campus Public Relations Chairman Robby Stein, a Medill senior.

“HereAndNow is now officially retired,” said Stein, a former Daily staffer.

To vote, students will need to log in to NU Link.

Links to all the candidates’ Web sites will also be posted on NU Link by the end of this week, Stein said.

Senators also unanimously confirmed Weinberg freshmanGeoff Lindsell to the Judicial Board.

“I would like to dedicate myself to enforcing the bylaws and the constitution of ASG,” Lindsell said.

Lindsell joins Weinberg freshman Patrick Hartnett on the three-person board. Senators will nominate and confirm the third member to the board at next week’s meeting.

Senators approved the appointment of Weinberg junior Thomas Hughes to the senator vacancy on the Student Activities Finance Board. Financial Vice President Aneesa Arshad, a SESP junior, reminded senators that spring funding petitions will be due April 13.

Senators will approve Spring Quarter funding allocations for A-status student groups later this quarter. Signing the petitions is the first step in this funding process.

The executive committee promoted Northwestern National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws and the OM Hindu Cultural Council to T-status student groups, bringing the total number of B- and T-status student groups to 65, said Executive Vice President Rishi Taparia, a Communication junior.

ASG differentiates between A-, B- and T-status groups on the basis of funding allotments and the group’s size and longevity.

New senators met with Speaker of the Senate Jesse Garfinkel, a Weinberg freshman, to discuss committee appointments. New senators will also undergo training in the coming weeks, Garfinkel said.

Reach Elise Foley at [email protected] and Paul Takahashi at [email protected].