Springing Into A Preview

By Abe RakovThe Daily Northwestern

Since this is the final installment of NU Notes, it’s the last chance to preview the spring sports season. Here is NU Notes’ prediction of how each spring sport will fare this year (in order of projected finish).

Lacrosse

The two-time defending national champions, led by defending national player of the year Kristen Kjellman, might lose another game or two this season but ultimately will win their third-straight national championship.

Women’s tennis

The Cats got over their hump in the NCAA Tournament last year, reaching the quarterfinals and winning the individual national championship in doubles. NU will make it to the Final Four.

Softball

Last year’s College World Series finalist opened this season ranked No. 4 in the nation. NU Notes predicts a return to the World Series, but not to the final.

Men’s golf

Although NU struggled in the fall season, the Cats will rebound in the spring. Coach Pat Goss has a talented, deep team capable of making a run in the NCAAs.

Women’s golf

Alice Kim and Jennifer Hong will lead the Cats to the NCAA Championships.

Men’s tennis

Coach Paul Torricelli’s killer schedule could hurt the Cats if they don’t find a way to start winning, but they’ll change direction and sneak into the NCAA Tournament as a .500 team.

Baseball

The Cats’ pitching staff is still in question, so it’s unclear how they’ll fare this season. Look for NU to be a middle-of-the-road team in the Big Ten.

Home game to watch

Men’s basketball against Indiana tonight at 6 p.m. It’s Senior Night, so it’s time to say goodbye to the one-of-a-kind Tim Doyle. But don’t forget about Vince Scott, Ivan Tolic and Joe Kennedy.

Shout out of the week

NU Notes branched out from watching sports Saturday night to see Mee-Ow’s Anatomy. If you haven’t seen Mee-Ow perform, you’re missing out. The group is hysterical and its shows are must-see spectacles. Mee-Ow loses four very talented seniors (Chris Hejl, Nick Kanellis, Jessica Lowe and Matt Sheelen), but I’m sure they’ll rebound and still be great next year.

Deputy sports editor Abe Rakov is a Medill junior. His NU Notes column runs every Wednesday. He can be reached at [email protected].