Hot or Not?

After a few weeks of standing on the sideline and pointing fingers, I have a confession to make: I own Uggs. But that’s just the beginning of the story. I don’t care that I own typically female boots. They’re comfortable and cozy and casual and most importantly, easy to slip on as I’m running late to class. The real problem, my fellow fashionistas, lies not in the fact that I’m one of the sheep that own faux sheep-skin boots. Rather, the problem lies in the fact that Uggs may be the worst winter boot solution ever.

They tell you not to wear them with socks. But, after one season of wearing them, socks are almost mandatory unless I want winter precipitation piercing my toes as I walk down Sheridan Rd. Yes, I waterproofed them. Still, they’re wet inside. Furthermore, this wetness rubs against the rubbed-away insides and blisters my feet. Suddenly, a trek to class becomes the equivalent of a failed attempt at walking on coals. My feet are torn up, red and pained. (I know, that’s gross to talk about).

When it comes down to it, Uggs are just North Faces that go on your feet. Everyone has them. And though Ugly Betty told me last week that the furry boots are definitely out of style, I don’t really care. They’re not fashion – they’re function. I’m willing to enshroud my feet in potentially bizarre footwear if it means my toes will stay comfy and warm. But lately, my battle with Uggs has just turned ugly.

So, I’m reaching out to all of you. Am I the only person going through this? There must be others whose Uggs have become a sure disappointment, and until someone can fix this problem, I’m sticking to galoshes. They may be just as uncomfortable and weird, but at least they keep my feet dry as I traipse through the blizzard snow.

-Kurt Soller