Firefighers Endure Lake For Training

By Rebekah TsadikThe Daily Northwestern

Few sights could distract a Northwestern student busily commuting to class in single-digit temperatures – except the sight of men wading in lake water below several inches of ice.

For two hours Thursday, 26 firefighters from the Evanston Fire Department endured part of an all-day training session on the Lakefill that included full immersion.

Four trainees, clad in yellow Mustang ice commander rescue suits, worked to earn certification for saving people who have fallen through ice. Five firefighters were certified Wednesday. Certification typically is valid for one year.

“Probably the biggest challenge is getting yourself oriented to the suit,” said firefighter David Lipp, who was certified for the first time Thursday. “It takes a little bit of getting used to.”

Instructor Russell LoCoco guided suited firefighters through a variety of self- and victim-rescue techniques.

“They have to have the ability to save themselves before they can save somebody else,” LoCoco said.

Post-rescue, firefighters rolled along the ice, instead of walking, to distribute their weight and to keep from putting pressure on the fragile ice.

Students and passersby occasionally stopped to observe the action.

“I never knew the best way to get out of an ice break was to roll to the side,” said Julia Chamberlain, an NU graduate student.

Before on-the-job training, firefighters attended a morning classroom session where they learned about hypothermia, handling patients and “reading” the ice. The last training session occurred two years ago.

“Wildlife is a key to dangerous ice,” LoCoco said. He pointed to a section of the Lakefill near Norris University Center highly populated by geese and ducks, which he said gravitate toward the warmest water.

Surface ice rescuers respond to victims who have fallen into the water; a separate task force handles victims who have sunk below water.

“The cold and the water zaps you completely,” Lipp said. “I just couldn’t imagine that situation.”

Ice fishers and dog walkers are the most frequent victims. Dog walkers tend to leap after their animals and try to save them, LoCoco said.

Thursday was not all serious. One trainee participated voluntarily for the second time.

“They’re not supposed to be enjoying it that much,” said Division Chief Ron Gannon, watching two firefighters laughing while riding a rescue rope triumphantly toward shore.

“Given the opportunity, I would absolutely do it again,” Lipp said.

Reach Rebekah Tsadik at [email protected].