Evanston Finds New Police Chief Close To Home

By Dagny SalasThe Daily Northwestern

After a six-month, nationwide search for the new Evanston police chief, Evanston City Manager Julia Carroll found the right candidate only 14 miles away.

Carroll confirmed the appointment of Mount Prospect Police Chief Richard Eddington as the new Evanston police chief Tuesday.

“I have a high level of confidence in his ability to lead the police department and to work with the community on a very positive basis,” Carroll said.

Although he didn’t outline any specific goals, Eddington said he is looking forward to joining the Evanston force on March 26.

“The most important thing is for me to get there and become familiar with the city,” Eddington said. “You’ve got to learn the community. I’m excited about the challenge.”

Eddington, a 32-year police department veteran, brings many favorable qualities to Evanston, Carroll said.

“He’s a seasoned professional but also an innovator,” she said. “He’ll show how to engage the public in solving problems and reducing crime – all things you hope a police department is able to accomplish.”

Judith Witt, the city director of human resources, said she believes Eddington’s 15 years as a police chief in Mount Prospect and Roselle, Ill., make him a good fit for Evanston.

“He (has) worked with a variety of kinds of issues comparable to Evanston,” Witt said. “I believe he’s got the skills set necessary to take over from the former chief and continue to move the department forward.”

Mount Prospect Village Manager Michael Janonis said he remembers how well Eddington handled an issue with the U.S. Department of Justice when the police force was faced with accusations of racial profiling in a community with a significant Hispanic population.

“He was able to successfully negotiate our way and was tenacious in following up,” Janonis said. “He is the consummate professional and understands law enforcement in and out.”

The move will take Eddington from the Mount Prospect Police Department of 107 employees to the Evanston department of 222 employees. Half of the Evanston officers have fewer than five years of experience.

“(It’s) a unique opportunity to shape the department that will serve the city in the upcoming years,” Eddington said.

The incoming chief will continue to foster the already strong relationship that the city’s police department has with the Northwestern community, EPD Deputy Chief Joseph Bellino said.

“Our concern is the safety and providing service to all members of the Evanston community, which includes Northwestern,” Bellino said. “I don’t foresee an interruption in that goal.”

Mount Prospect Mayor Irvana K. Wilks said Eddington’s “special kind of policing” will be missed.

“He made himself well-known and -liked, (and) he’s very available to folks whenever they need someone,” Wilks said.

Evanston is hosting a meet-and-greet with Eddington to encourage city residents to get to know their new police chief better, Witt said.

The event is open to the public. It will be held at the Civic Center, 2100 Ridge Ave., from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 18.

Reach Dagny Salas at [email protected]. The Daily’s City Editor Elizabeth Gibson contributed to this report.