China Tightens Its Regulations On Adoption

By Joyce LeeThe Daily Northwestern

China knows supply and demand.

Amid thousands of requests from foreigners, the top country for international adoption into the U.S. recently raised its selection standards for potential parents.

The proposed regulations, expected to take effect in May, would prohibit single and obese applicants, as well as those older than 50, from adopting a child from China. The nation follows in the footsteps of others such as South Korea and the Philippines, which have evolved adoption policies to reflect cultural ideals for parenthood.

“I think that every country should be entitled to set their own laws and regulations,” said Phyllis Laughlin, clinical director of Adoptive Parent Services at The Cradle, an Evanston adoption agency. “(South) Korea has guidelines; Colombia has guidelines; so it’s not uncommon to see guidelines regarding things like age and weight.”

Under the modified rules, eligibility for adoption, among other factors, is based on each applicant’s age. Those 30 to 44 years old are able to apply for a child 3 to 12 months old, while those 45 to 50 years old may only apply for a child 13 months to 3 years old. Couples must be married for at least two years, or at least five years for a second marriage, and the family’s net worth must be greater than $80,000. Each parent’s Body Mass Index, an indicator of body fat, can be no greater than 40, and single applicants are not accepted.

“The government is attempting to enforce the conservative notion of the proper family environment in order to ensure adopted children would have parents with financial resources, good health and (who are) of a healthy age,” said Peter Carroll, professor of Chinese culture and history at Northwestern University.

Nations like China devise such criteria to ensure recipient families are not only trustworthy but also capable in their society’s perspective.

“China is thinking about life expectancy for the parents and a safe, stable home for the child,” said Jane Turner, program coordinator for International Adoption at Family Resource Center, a Chicago adoption agency. “They believe that adopting in those conditions offers their children the best conditions to live in.”

Debra Sawyer and her half-Chinese husband, Richard So, set their own standards for an adopted child – Chinese, preferably a daughter and with solid health. In November 2003, their two-year adoption process brought Willow, now 3, from a small village in the province of Guangdong back to their house in Evanston.

“I guess that the criteria now placed for their culture kind of makes sense, but for getting the kids out it doesn’t make sense,” Sawyer said.

Sawyer said her single friends who have already adopted and would like to adopt again would now be deterred. Adoption agencies said they expect a significant impact on thousands of Americans.

“I do think there are going to be a lot of disappointed people,” The Cradle’s Laughlin said. “Do I think that it’s discriminatory? I think there will be people who will feel that way.”

Although the revision is a setback to many hoping to adopt, there are exceptions made for older or special needs children, and some view the change as a fine-tuning.

“When your child is graduating and your dad is 80, that’s tough,” Family Resource Center’s Turner said. “I don’t think it’s particularly unfair. I really think they are trying to find the best possible home.”

As the top source for international adoptions by Americans, China has had no shortage of potential homes for its abandoned or orphaned children. The restrictive one-child policy combined with a cultural preference for sons have produced what Laughlin calls “a safe bet” for those seeking adoptable daughters.

“I think this was a notion of streamlining,” NU’s Carroll said. “The regulations were prompted by the fact that demand for adoptive children has exceeded the supply.”

Over the last 15 years, the number of international adoptions in the U.S. has tripled. But 2006 saw a sharp decline that could continue with backlash from the proposed regulations.

For now, Sawyer and her husband are treasuring their time with Willow. She joyfully greets callers on their answering machine message, she attends music and swimming classes, and on Fridays she joins her parents for Mandarin lessons.

“It’s fantastic,” Sawyer said. “I can’t imagine life without her. She’s really a special kid.”

Reach Joyce Lee at [email protected].