Report: Libraries Promote Growth, Unite Kids, Families

By Rebekah TsadikThe Daily Northwestern

With only a piano, simple costumes and a painted cloth backdrop, a group of about six adults held the attention of 100 children and their parents better than a favorite Saturday morning cartoon.

Families gathered Sunday at the Evanston Public Library Main Branch, 1703 Orrington Ave., to watch an adaptation of Shel Silverstein’s quirky book of poems “Where the Sidewalk Ends,” performed by the Evanston Library Friends.

But neither the audience nor the performers likely considered the importance of library events such as this one.

A study released last week by the Urban Libraries Council, an Evanston-based collaboration of North American libraries and relevant corporations, said libraries are essential for promoting early literacy, providing job research tools and attracting foot-traffic for local businesses. The study drew from its own research and past studies to conclude that library services and materials build the “knowledge economies” of work forces.

The study cites research from the University of Chicago that said children’s programs give the most back to the community. They’re “more efficient public investments” because, if children get involved at a young age, the benefits from programs will compound over the years.

“For children’s programming, there’s a bottomless pit of demand,” said Janice Bojda, director of children’s services for the library. “We’re a free source of literacy materials for children here.”

Evanston’s library hosts Parent/Child Workshops, which bring in education and healthcare specialists to interact with parents and kids.

The library also works with groups such as the Evanston Library Friends, independent community members who support the library through funds and performances.

Of the Urban Libraries Council members surveyed, 90 percent said their libraries offered special early literacy programs. While space limits the growth of on-site programs, Evanston library’s efforts also extend beyond the reach of the main library and its two branches.

Out-of-house programs pair the library with the Early Childhood Center and Head Start to host activities at schools and provide access to books to children and families who might not have it otherwise.

“The greatest contribution is really encouraging juvenile literacy,” Evanston Public Library Director Neal Ney said.

Getting parents and kids excited about books helps establish reading habits early, he said. At Sunday’s performance, 17-month-old Matthew embodied that excitement.

His mother, Lenka Roberts, moved to Evanston from the Czech Republic last August and said she brings her son to the library often. Throughout the hour-long performance, Roberts whispered in her son’s ear, pointing out characters from Silverstein’s book.

The play, adapted by Michael Mahler, Communication ’04, incorporated other Silverstein works, following a young man who parts from his beloved tree to find treasure. He embarks on an Ovid-esque journey through dangerous terrain and meets colorful characters, including pirates, a wife and “Dirty Dan.”

But when he returns as a grown man, he finds only a stump where his tree was. Children complemented the actors’ singing and dancing with occasional giggles and outbursts.

“It’s always great to take a literary source material and present it in a different way,” said Jonathon Lynch, Communication ’06, who played the character Dirty Dan.

For Anne Wagner and her daughters, who are Andersonville residents and Silverstein enthusiasts, the performance was an enjoyable first experience.

“We’re compulsive book buyers,” she said. Silverstein writes books both children and parents can enjoy, she said.

After the play, one performer asked audience members who had read Silverstein before, and about 50 little hands shot up excitedly.

“(Kids) can be enthusiastic in ways adults aren’t,” Lynch said.

Reach Rebekah Tsadik at [email protected].