So Long, Stress

By Karina Martinez-CarterPLAY Writer

A massage can cost anywhere between $75 and upwards of $285. That, in Northwestern terms, is about a year’s worth of points on the Block C meal plan, the cost of decent digital camera, or way more than most students would be willing to carve out of their tight budgets at one time. People give all that for an hour or so of a stranger expertly rubbing their oiled backs with their hands, hot stones or something close to that.

Indulgence may be pricey, but it can be a good investment, considering the amount of energy expended stressing over finals, grades and futures. However, with more than 200 spas in Chicago, choosing a venue can even be a stressful situation for the indecisive. Cost, location, ambience, focus, clientele and reputation all differ from spa to spa.

Searching “spa” on The Chicago Tribune’s metromix Web site brings up the names of the majority of Chicago’s spas. Each name links to little blurbs about the spa, listing location and contact information, as well as a quick run-through of what the spa offers. PLAY also scoured Chicago searching for some of the most unique spas and quirkiest treatments.

The search first stops at 735 N. LaSalle St., at the three-story Honey Child Salon and Spa. “Honey child” is an affectionate name a mother may call her daughter, and reviews certainly have been affectionate toward the indulgence mecca. The average of 50 CitySearch users’ reviews gave the spa 9.4 out of 10 stars, and it has been featured in a number of magazines, including Allure. The spa, with massage rooms on the ground floor and hair styling on the second and third, carries the honey theme throughout its d