News Editor Receives Eaton Memorial Award

A member of The Daily’s editorial board received an award at the end of Fall Quarter, recognizing her dedication to the newspaper and her willingness to go above and beyond her duties in the newsroom.

Medill junior Christina Alexander, who has served at the Daily in numerous capacities since joining the staff her freshman year, received the second William J. Eaton Memorial Award from the Students Publishing Co. The award, which includes a cash prize of $500, was awarded to former campus editor Abe Rakov in the spring.

Currently a news editor, Alexander has held the position for the last three quarters and was also the managing editor of the 2006 Summer Northwestern. She edited for the development desk in Fall and Winter quarters of 2006 and has reported for the campus desk.

The award is named for Eaton, Medill ’51, a dedicated Daily staff member from 1947 to 1951. He won a Pulitzer Prize in 1970 and was later a foreign correspondent for the Los Angeles Times.

When he died in August 2005, his friends collected $4,000 for a memorial aqard to be given to a Daily staffer each quarter. The editorial board submits nominations for the award, and the Students Publishing Co. Board of Directors chooses one finalist.

Medill senior Ryan Wenzel, The Daily’s editor in chief, praised Alexander for her proficiency working in all areas of the Daily.

“Christina is an invaluable part of our staff,” said Wenzel. “She has done great work on a variety of desks, and she makes the newsroom a more enjoyable place to be.”

-Matt Presser