Defenses To Duel At Camp Randall

By Michael SchlossbergThe Daily Northwestern

Penn State (6-3, 4-2) at No. 17 Wisc. (8-1, 5-1)

Time: 11:00 a.m.Place: Madison, Wisc.Line: Wisconsin by 7TV: ABC

What’s at stake: After taking turns shutting down Purdue’s explosive offense in consecutive weeks, the defenses of Penn State and Wisconsin will get an opportunity to settle the score.

Overview: This game features two of the best defenses in the conference. One week after Wisconsin held Purdue to three points, the fewest it scored in three years, Penn State responded by shutting out Purdue, ending the Boilermakers’ streak of 127 games without being shut out – a run that spanned 10 years. In a year with the defenses of Michigan and Ohio State receiving most of the attention in the Big Ten, Wisconsin and Penn State’s defensive units have put up impressive numbers in their own right. They are the only other schools to give up less than 300 yards of total offense per game.

Ball State (3-6) at No. 2 Mich. (9-0, 6-0)

Time: 11:00 a.m.Place: Ann Arbor, Mich.Line: Michigan by 33TV: ESPNU

What’s at stake: Michigan has a chance to win an easy non-conference game, giving some of its key injured players an extra week to recover, while Ball State can pull off one of the biggest upsets of the season.

Overview: Michigan gets to take a break from its Big Ten conference schedule with a non-conference game against a struggling opponent. With just two games remaining until the highly anticipated showdown against Ohio State, Michigan has an opportunity to let some of its banged-up players get an extra week of rest.

Indiana (5-4, 3-2) at Minnesota (3-6, 0-5)

Time: 11:00 a.m.Place: Minneapolis, Minn.Line: Minnesota by 4.5TV: ABC

What’s at stake: Indiana has a chance to be bowl-eligible for the first time since 1993, while Minnesota is running out of chances to pick up its first conference win.

Overview: This game features a role-reversal of recent history. Minnesota, which has been to a bowl game each of the last four years, remains winless in the Big Ten with only three games left on its schedule. On the other hand, Indiana is on the verge of booking a trip to a bowl game after spending the last 13 years watching from home.

No. 1 Ohio St. (9-0, 5-0) at Illinois (2-7, 1-4)

Time: 2:30 p.m.Place: Champaign, Ill.Line: Ohio State by 26.5TV: ESPN2

What’s at stake: Ohio State can maintain its stranglehold on the national rankings with another convincing win, while Illinois can continue its recent run of respectability by hanging with the top team in the nation.

Overview: On the heels of last week’s 44-0 massacre of Minnesota, Ohio State has not shown any signs of vulnerability during its current stretch of weaker opponents. There is little reason to believe anything will change this week. Illinois comes into this game on a very misleading four-game losing streak. Illinois has had a chance to win each of those games late in the fourth quarter. If the Illini are able to get to a position where they can give up a lead against Ohio State, consider it a success for Illinois.

Purdue (5-4, 2-3) at Mich. State (4-5, 1-4)

Time: 2:30 p.m.Place: East Lansing, Mich.Line: Michigan State by 1.5TV: ESPNU

What’s at stake: Not much. Purdue still could go to a mediocre bowl game, while Michigan State is just waiting for its nightmare season – and coach John L. Smith’s career – to end.

Overview: Both of these teams come limping into this week’s game. Purdue has been held to a combined three points in its last two games after being considered one of the top offenses. Michigan State failed to use its historic comeback against Northwestern as a spark, getting pummeled by Indiana last week. The Spartans have now lost five of their last six games.

Reach Michael Schlossberg at [email protected].